Replacing an outer CV boot

Many after market boots require inserting a spacer at the shaft and that can become a problem sooner than later in many cases. Investigate the boots before buying one.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s what I found with the split boot I just put on, and it is the reason I question its integrity. Also, the straps that came with the kit had no tabs to secure the folded-over end, even though the instructions showed the tabs. Useless. I had to improvise.

The split boot might last a few years, before giving you problems

It might not be necessary to replace it just yet

Yes, I will be crossing my fingers and checking on it frequently. If it goes bad I hope I catch it in time so the bearings donā€™t get damaged. Then I can put on a one-piece boot and relax. But I may just proactively put on a one-piece and end my worries.

Update: the split boot was a big flop, figuratively and literally: I could hear it flapping, and it threw grease.

I had my local Honda dealer order an OEM boot kit ($40) and I bought a Lisle boot clamp tool rather than improvise for that important step. Removed the axle. First had to go to the shop that had recently installed the steering knuckle because the axle nut was too tight for my 1/2" breaker bar and 32 mm socket. They must have gone far beyond the 134 ft.-lb. spec. They kindly loosened it while I waited. Unable to loosen some of the large bolts on the lower control arm, I did the simpler step of loosening the ball joint from the arm, and was able to do it with some difficulties, but without damaging the ball joint.

The key to the getting the job done right was the boot clamp tool. It required a lot of force to crimp the ears on the thick, hefty clamp enough to hold boot on. The Lisle tool can accept 1/2" drive tools in its arms, to increase clamping force. I found resting the axle and one arm of the tool on the floor, and leaning on a big breaker bar, crimped the ear adequately. The thin, skinny straps that come with the aftermarket boots Iā€™ve seen seem inadequate to the task. I canā€™t see how zip ties could do this job.

So, OEM axle back on the road. Discovered I need brake pads and rotors, and probably a caliper rebuild. I recently started a different discussion about pads and rotors.

Thanks to all who pitched in here, and some of the mechanics on youtube!