Replacing a marker/placement bulb on 2008 Kia Spectra

I have a 2008 Kia Spectra EX, and the passenger side running light (they call it the marker or placement bulb) has just blown. I have the replacement, but I am having a devil of a time trying to remove the old bulb.

I can turn the bulb housing counter clockwise, but I cannot remove said housing to get at the bulb. It is a tight fit in the housing on the passenger side, so I cannot really see enough to be able to work out how to remove the housing and change the bulb.

It is such a simple task, but I feel like a real bonehead because I can’t seem to do it!

Thanks,

--Mark

Please see if this this diagram will help you.

Thanks very much for the information and diagram. It seems a little excessive to have to remove the whole headlight assembly just to replace one bulb, but if that is what it takes, so be it.

Much appreciated.
–MMM

I know of one vehicle where one has to reach inside the wheel well to reach the driver’s side headlight bulb to replace it. Granted it’s an SUV, but still…

I used to own a Dodge Caravan, and that had the light access panel in the wheel well. Makes you wonder what these car designers are thinking…

–MM

Or what water they are drinking…My point of view as an engineer changed a lot after coming to the USA and started doing my own maintenance on cars. Other thing, the harder it is for you the easier is to take to the dealer…

As a fellow legal alien to these shores castironman, I know exactly what you mean.

–MM

hi mandj1218, I have the same problem, and can’t get the bulb out. Can you help me out? troutbum32

You can turn it “clockwise”? Have you tried COUNTERclockwise?

Every turret type bulb socket I’ve ever seen loosens counterclockwise and installs clockwise.