Replacement for a perfect car

It is a '97 Chrysler LHS and is the perfect car. However it may not be long before it needs replacement. Recommendations?

The replacement should include these perfect-car features: roomy and comfortable, including rear set leg room; leather preferred; 5, 6 or more seating (5 are comfortable in the LHS and we can take 6); reasonably good handling; decent gas mileage or better (currently 22-25); reliable; low lifetime cost of ownership; power and some luxury features; decent sound system; good sized trunk; etc.

I look forward to your shopping list suggestions. Thanks.

A Buick LaCrosse is probably worth a look.

How about a '97 Chrysler LHS with less miles on it than yours? You may find a creampuff owned by an elderly person who only used the car on weekends or something. Sounds like you have time to look without a big rush. You already know that you really like this car, so maybe that would be one to consider again.

And if the engine or transmission on yours is your main concern, it isn’t unreasonable to have either or both rebuilt. If the body and interior are fine, doing the mechanical repairs on your present car may make good financial sense, as well as keep you in a car you obviously like very much. It would also save sales tax, time spent searching for another car, etc.

Or maybe you are ready for something new, or newer, just for the sake of variety and fun? That’s fine too.

I agree with @WesternRoadtripper

When some jerk rearended and totaled my mom’s car, I just went out and bought the same car again. I literally bought it from an old man who had taken very good care of it.

Except for a few differences:

One year newer
far lower miles
Stronger engine
Better equipped

Chrysler LSH, vintage 97 a perfect car ? You should have plenty of options. The biggest selling sedans already equal or exceed this car in most if not all areas. How about ALL of those features plus 40 mpg highway in an Accord, and that’s just a starter. Your requests are reasonable. Just don’t throw in style. Most cars are now boring wind tunnel shaped passenger movers.

+1 to dagosa’s comments.

The OP has not set the bar particularly high if his next car has to equal a 1997 Chrysler, so any number of modern sedans should fill the bill. However, if the OP wants a really roomy sedan with great reliability, plus a good amount of luxury at a fairly reasonable price, it would be hard to do better than the Toyota Avalon.

The biggest problem is the "5, 6 or more seating ". 5 is common, 6 isn’t.

Avalon would be on my list.

I would l,ook at the Buick Lacrosse (my brother-in-law loves his) or a Toyota Avalon. Both very spacious and comfortable and well built. Both are more “perfect” than your current LHS.

The 2014s are coming in, so you might get a good deal on a left over 2013 on the lot.

Just start visiting different car lots and looking around. Today’s compacts are probably bigger than your LHS. You might also consider a hatchback/wagon instead of a sedan; get those longer/taller things inside the car without having to fiddle with tying the trunk lid down

2005 Buick LeSabre (last year produced), 2005 Buick Park Avenue (last year produced), 2005/2007 Ford Crowne Victoria, 2005/2011 Mercury Grand Marquis, 20005/2011 Lincoln Town Car, 2005/2013 Toyota Avalon. These are all full-size, used cars that won’t break the bank. You can get a new Avalon, too. If you want to step up to a more expensive luxury sedan, consider the 2005/2006 Lexus LS 430.

If you feel your '97 Chrysler LS is the perfect car, go looking for another '97 Chrysler LS. There has to be one out there somewhere in good shape.

I concur w/@Texases, the Avalon. Definitely take a look-see at the Toyota dealership before deciding on something else. It’s a very nice car.

The choices you have been given are all good options. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that you would lose rear seat legroom in a Crown Vic/Town Car compared to your LHS. Fuel economy as well. And the LHS is more fun to drive.

I recommend a 2001 Chrysler LHS. 2001 was the last year they made them, so if you can find one that has low mileage and was well maintained, it should last you at least four years.

When you start talking about carrying 6 people around, you need to add " in comfort". Then, the smaller Mazda5 and Ford Flex begin to make sense. For most people, front bench seat sedans to get that six passenger option makes too many concessions to comfort for the majority of time you don’t need 3 abreast.