Replacement (concrete) driveway with tough turf?

We never washed the cars until they became 2 tone, part of the reason dad’s CRV is the exact color of gravel diust. Aggregate is what we’ve been using as well with dad buying 1,000lbs of it loaded into the utility trailer. Right at the tow rating for the Honda but it didn’t seem to mind.

Grass/mud is my current situation. Please don’t do this! Nothing good you think will happen will be true! It’s 6" of mud in the spring and ruts to mow in the summer. Come winter it’s better because it’s frozen, but difficult to deal with the snow.

That said, there are those 2 magic weeks in the fall where the ground is solid and the grass doesn’t need mowing that are nice. But by then the grass has thinned and has started to die off.

1 Like

I lived on a gravel road as a kid. I remember asking dad why he took so much time cleaning the tires and wheels when he washed the cars since they’re going to immediately get dirty again. I don’t remember his reply. Probably something along the lines of not doing a job half assed.

When I got my own car, I did the same. No Armor All for me, though! I guess I did the job 3/4 assed.

2 Likes

I always do everything whole-assed. Is that why everyone call me a**whole?

2 Likes

I think you are going to get flagged but not everyone resorts to those names.

I do not use profanity - either speaking or writing.
But sometimes artistic license can be humorous.

Yes. Not everyone here has a sense of humor.

1 Like
1 Like

I moved from Mississippi to Michigan 12 years ago, and I still take pictures every time it snows. My wife thinks I’m crazy. :wink:

I agree with the gravel idea. I recall a senior party in high school at someone’s farm where everyone had to park on grass. It had been raining for an entire week and was a huge mess. My driveway here was gravel for the first year (which I’d never had to deal with before), and it was fine apart from the rocks getting sucked up by the snowblower (another thing I’d never had to deal with before).

2 Likes

We wouldrive on the grass and park in the garage.
There is a slight slope so water would not stagnate on the grass.
But after a heavy rain or snow melt it could be a problem.

As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie I may have to cover our backyardeck with grass pavers!

1 Like

That’s probably not as bad as my high school party; being parked on the wet grass for hours gave the cars time to sink in. I’m not that familiar with the pavers but that might be a contender as well.

I don’t see how putting a bunch of plastic in the ground is “green”…

3 Likes

To contemplate tearing out a perfectly good concrete driveway while claiming to be a “greenie” is a contradiction.
Not just for the process of the removal and replacement itself but for the fact that concrete absorbs CO2 throughout it’s lifetime.
But who said the desire to express and nurture the appearance of virtue had to be be grounded in rational thought or action? Aspirational virtue.

Permeable pavers are a thing. They have been for as long as I’ve been alive. (Called Gobi-blocks in my neck of the woods. They create an impression of concrete lattice when laid out.) Historically, they’ve been made of concrete but these days you can buy interlocking plastic versions made of recycled polypropylene, designed to hold either grass, pebbles or any loose aggregates. The plastic versions are essentially invisible and just do the job of retaining the material or grass while supporting the vehicle or foot-traffic load. They must be laid on a gravel bed which is great for turf drainage.

1 Like

Well I think some of us viewed the question as essentially unserious so all these 50 responses were more like entertainment on a dark night.

2 Likes

Since when is contradictionot a part of Greenies?
Wouldo this onlyvhen the driveway needs to be replaced.
Otherwise not wortheffort and co$t. (I have carried enougheavy sharp-edged pieces of concrete whichad to be awkwardly thrown up into a dumpster.)