Replacement (concrete) driveway with tough turf?

As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie, I would love to replace our 20-foot wide driveway with grass.
Has any flat-earther triedis?

Thank you.

I’d think the energy burned to to this would far exceed any good it would do. And it would likely turn into a mud pit.

2 Likes

I’m actually taking turfgrass classes via Penn State World Campus right now, I’m sure someone has tried, but I doubt that it would survive very well. You would need a turf that would be able to handle all of the traffic you put on it.

Also, living in Colorado, you would need a cool season turf (bluegrasses/ryegrasses/bentgrasses/fescues).

What was your plan going to be when there’s snow down? I wouldn’t toss salt down on it, but you’ll have trouble getting any traction getting up the driveway.

It is easy enough to try out. Park on your lawn and see what happens.

3 Likes

Short drivewayvith little slope. AWD Lexæ RX350s.
Not much traffic. We usually only go to stores on the way home so no extra trips out and in the garage.
During summer the south-facing driveway reflects much heat athe house.

Except for some spalling, the cement slabs are not cracked.
Was just non-thinking ahead for when the slabs will need to be replaced.

Thoughthat some new super tough turfs were being developed.
HOA would probably fine me, anyway.

Good idea buthe lawn is mostly Kentucky Blue Grass. Not a good type for our semiarid climate.

not much traffic, but a heavy car

is there any space to plant some trees to help block some of that reflected heat? It would make more sense than getting rid of your asphalt.

There are always new turfs in development. Many sports fields that use natural grass turf have slowly transitioned from pure Kentucky bluegrass to a mix of Kentucky bluegrass and Perennial ryegrass as the ryegrass recovers faster so the playing surface remains in the best condition possible for the next use.

that is almost a certainty.

it’s not the worst actually. It does really well with high sun and leans a little arid for preferred moisture in the soil.

1 Like

When I was a kid no one in the neighborhood had a paved driveway. You just put some gravel down for the tracks. Of course then then center would be grass that you had to mow, but no one had a power mower so no problem with throwing rocks. Paved drives were reserved for rich people. Nothing new under the sun as someone said 2000 or so years ago. Do what pleases you.

I don’t know what your soil type is, I would hate to tear up a drive and be left with mud and ruts. Maybe a compromise.

4 Likes

As Bing noted, that is what we had, some houses had pavers with grass growing between the rows of pavers.

1 Like

I’ve still got a gravel drive…about 200 feet long. Thought about getting asphalt just in front of the garage and shop, but haven’t done it yet.

1 Like

Heh heh, the advantage was when Dad forgot to put the oil drain plug back in, the oil just soaked into the gravel. Otherwise it would have been a mess. Learned some new German words.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem very nice to expect your visitors to walk through what’s likely to be mud (not to mention that they’ll probably have to waste lots of water to wash their cars after visiting you).

1 Like

Another Trolling thread by RG . Most cities have an ordinances they require vehicles to be parked on a hard surface .

1 Like

If the turf is notough enough to withstand the wheels rolling, noturning, on it, then do not do it.
There are a number of places were no driveway is required.

No turf can handle cars when it’s been raining, or during snowmelt.

1 Like

What would you do with the concrete from the existing driveway?

If you’re going to tear it up and put the concrete chunks in a landfill…how does that “green” math work out?

I’d keep the concrete I already have, personally.

2 Likes

My old house had back alley with garage so I had no driveway. Maybe you should move?

He said he’d wait until the concrete needs to be redone. But that could be decades away. And the concrete is largely recycled, it is too costly to dispose of as regular trash because of the weight.

What about replacing concrete only where the tire tracks go, and having the grass strip in between. That can look nice. There are also new concrete materials that are permeable so the rainfall goes into the ground instead of the stormwater to sewer system.

It won’t help you in Colorado but St Augustine and other types of grass that grows in the south can be driven and parked on without much affect to it at all. The sandy soil supports the tires, drains well and doesn’t mud up.

2 Likes