Replaced 6 wheel bearings with only 120,000 miles 2005 Ford Focus Wagon!

1 right front wheel bearing and 5 rear wheel bearings 3 on left and 2 on right. Have atrocious speed bumps (and I mean atrocious) in community of residence. Am well within the guide lines of weight in vehicle. Had springs replaced and shocks replaced (heavier duty) for separate purpose still within manufacturers guide line for weight in vehicle. On bright note, only recently replaced front disc brakes (ceramic) at 120,000 miles

Are you trying to say that the speed bumps damaged your wheel bearings? If you have proof perhaps you try and recover the cost, unless someone has video of you going over them at 60+mph.

Thanks oldschool. That would take litigation against homeowners community. Am going to see mechanic about following posting I found here:
’ This is one of the warnings when installing the rear wheel bearings.

WARNING: Rotate the hub assembly 10 times in the opposite direction while tightening the hub nut to prevent damage to the wheel bearing.’

My HOA actually took down some rather oddly placed stop signs recently. If those bumps were on public property and incorrectly constructed you may have a case, much less hopeful on private property. I have see peope go to extremes over speed bumps, they really hate them.

Thanks old school for your concern. Not public property.

Still going with:This is one of the warnings when installing the rear wheel bearings.

WARNING: Rotate the hub assembly 10 times in the opposite direction while tightening the hub nut to prevent damage to the wheel bearing.

So what are the symptoms behind these failing bearings?
I can’t see bearings failing this often unless the installation procedure is faulty or there is a tendency to drive the vehicle repeatedly through high standing water.

Humming like a single prop engine plan. Have been with same repair shop with three vehicles since 1985, Feel good about the

WARNING: Rotate the hub assembly 10 times in the opposite direction while tightening the hub nut to prevent damage to the wheel bearing.

Most could follow those simple instructions, I will look for additional instructions.

Thank you oldschool. You are kind to look further:-)

online library down for maintiance, will try again in a few hours. I am thinking of a installation lubrication product or a preload procedure, perhaps neither idea goes any where. Could you install the next set yourself? then you have some control.

Not a mechanic and do not have any lift or tools. Will see what the shop that did all this says. Hopefully, they will do the right thing:-)

Rolling element bearings can fail in several ways. I can name only a few which would include incorrect installation including excessive or no preload, defective steel or defective hardening, incorrect lubrication, water or dirt contamination, excessive radial or side shock loading, bent spindle and who can say more?

I used to know and work with people who could diagnose the reason for a failed bearing from either a sample or less likely, a picture. Here you can possibly get a lucky guess.

That’s not an answer but you might at least ask your mechanic what he thinks. A description of the failed bearings could help with the long distance guessing.

Thanks you for your concern. Incorrect Installation is the culprit hopefully. This is what another here offered:

I have the failed bearings in question. Any chance I could UPS to people you know? I will pay.

My mechanic could not even figure this out after replacing 5 rear bearings. I will ask if mechanic rotated hub assembly. Then if necessary we will go further to what you offered. However, with all this happening in such short time, I think the installer failed to rotate 10 times.

Bearings replaced that often is above and beyond normal. Has the car ever been in an accident? Something seems to be wrong somewhere. Was all the old grease cleaned out? perhaps some debris remains causing trouble.

Have you considered slowing down? You mentioned weight, but not speed, so it’s reasonable to assume you are one of the people they install speed bumps for.

Still sounds like an installer problem to me. Omission of a spacer leading to too much bind on the bearing or maybe the possibility of hammering the bearing into the hub rather than pressing it in.

It’s not rare for someone to grab an old large socket, a 5 pound hammer, and whale that bearing into place rather than put it in the hydraulic press, with the latter being the proper method of installing bearings like this.

These bearings are usually hard to remove and install and it would be quite easy to damage a bearing by hammering on it. The bearing rollers or race are hardened material that may reveal their damage at first but over time can start disentegrating.

Maybe you should ask what their installation tool looks like. :slight_smile:

We agree. And if the Shop does not ‘do the right thing’ (been taking vehicles to this shop for 25 years) because their technician failed to install bearings properly, I will write them up to the Department of Consumer Affairs at Florida State level requesting refund of 5 bearings repairs. Such would do nothing to benefit the shop in question. PS: I do recall the shop owner personally whaling on the first right front wheel bearing into place during installation a couple of years past. However, that is not the bearing(s) in question. Am really disappointed in how shop owner did not go to Car Talk to research situation in light of owner advising me he has a link at Car Talk. Took me under one hour to do the research, that the shop should have done. I further have concern that the shop owner was deceitful when we wanted to purchase Goodyear Assurance tires and he mis-ordered Goodyear Eagle and gave ‘song and dance’ that Eagles replaced Assurance. Gave benefit of doubt to shop since being a loyal customer since 1985. Go figure.

Thank you for your interest waterboy. Just minor hit and runs near the fuel right panel. Merely superficial damage. Am not aware of all the old grease being cleaned out. That is the shops job.

Thank you for your interest zombiewoolf. Am not aware of speed. Am 62 years of age and do not use tobacco, alcohol, drugs or firearms. Am such a ‘drag’:slight_smile: Only high speed is highway at 78 miles per hour. And I do love children and initiated signs in our community: ‘Please slow down we love our children’. Would you like to reconsider your assumption?