Replace solenoid vs. rebuild tranny?

I have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper with 125,000 miles on it. I love the car, but just was told that one of the solenoids was bad. The mechanic suggested that i either have all 5 solenoids replaced ($885) or that i have the transmission rebuild ($1885).

Which is the better option? Should i sell the car and get out now? I also just had the fuel pump replaced about 2 weeks ago, and i am now wondering if that wasn’t really the problem. UGH!

Which solenoid are they saying is bad?? Well, lets start here, what exactly is the transmission doing which warrants a new solenoid/s??

transman

The past month’s history:

-My car had this horrible problem of stalling when driven for a prolonged period of time (more than an hour) and would start misfiring to the point where it would not got anymore. The car would need to sit for 15 minutes and would be fine. I took it to two mechanics who could find nothing wrong with the car. Then it started acting up again so I took it straigt to the mechanic so they could experience this severe jerking/misfiring that was going on. They deduced that i had a bad fuel pump, and replaced it for approximately $650. That was about 2 weeks ago.

• Beginning last week, my car was driving rough, the shift from one gear to the next was very rough and then when I was coasting (not accelerating) the car felt as if i were driving over a bumpy road (when the road was actually smooth). Now my car when driving initially does not start off in 1st (it is an automatic transmission) so when you try to dry from a stop it moves very slowly, like it is in 2nd or 3rd gear, but drives great after it is out of first.
  • To top it all off when the mechanic hooked up the machine to the transmission to check the codes, the computer did not give him any codes. He said that it is a mechanical issue, not electrical so the computer won’t recognize the issue? He assumes that it is a shift solenoid and since there are two in the car that repair would cost $600+ and he said that he would know what the true problem was until he took the transmission a part.

Sorry this is so long. Any help would be appreciated. Are we better off investing the money in a new car? new solenoids? new/rebuilt tranny? THANKS Transman