Replace blood transport vehicle? Vehicle suggestions?

The 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid is at 190k miles. (Was bought for in-town driving, but unfortunately most of its travel is on interstate and state highways, often 100 miles or more to distant hospitals.)
Should it be retired?
Replaced with what?
(For adverse weather we have a 2008 4WD Expedition with 89k miles.)
I do all oil changes myself with Motorcraft 5-20 synthetic-blend motor oil.
Transmission oil changed by Toyota dearler at 100k.

Thank you.

A Mustang with some of the Police Package stuff would be nice…The Camry may be tough to unload with those miles…

Thank you, Cad.
Mustang is too sporty - meaning expen$ive?
Not often has a hospital called to speed up a delivery started in the Camry.
It has effortlessly cruised at high enough speeds that no police package is needed.

Subaru Imprezza STI

A paramedic suggested a used Chevy Cruze something.
I’d prefer a Prius where I could sleep flat with feet in the hatchback area after a 0300 delivery.
Sleeping in the Camry is unproductive.

If you like the hatchbacks and you are doing hwy driving, I would get a Toyota Matrix. The Prius would pay off if you do a lot of stop & go in town driving.
Also, I will drive the Camry until it is not safe anymore. At this point the depreciation curve is flat.

Check out the Ford Transit Connect. It has easy load and unload and is large enough to sleep in as well. Plus…I think they get around 21mpg city and 29mpg highway. They are also available in CNG/LPG models as well which get even better mileage. I think fuel costs are lower too but I couldn’t find any data on that.

VW TDI in whatever body you prefer. This diesel will get better mpg on high speed highway runs than the Camry hybrid.

my first thought was an used hearse. Nawwww!!!

I own a Matrix and I would not recommend it for high speed runs.
It’s high roof and short wheelbase do not deliver high stability above 80mph.
I would look for a late model sport sedan. American or Japanese, not European.

You haven’t included any reason why it should be retired. Is there anything wrong with it?

I like the old hearse idea.
’’ Blood delivery ! ‘’
’‘oh, too late ?..load ‘em up.’’)
:wink:

A lot of the newer vehicle have AWD and may just cover both needs in one.
How about the new Explorers that the police are using ?

Comparing my 08 Expedition to its predisessor 92 Explorer…I actually liked the Explorer better for adverse weather. It was lighter and more nimble and with the right tires would go almost anywhere.

I mentioned the STI under the assumption that the turbo and the awd are needed for high speed travel in adverse weather. Since you are keeping the expedition for the winter, I would go for a Mazda5. Mazda are generally more stable and communicative than Toyota products. I’d feel more confident traveling at high speed in a Mazda than a Toyota. It has more room for sleeping than a prius-I’ve camped out in my employer’s parking lot as well, sleeping in my Scion xB. A tall roof and low ground clearance makes it easier for slipping into pajamas and inflating an air mattress.

A prius should do just fine, although i think you’d have to get a little creative with the seats to really be able to stretch out comfortably but it could be done.

You haven't included any reason why it should be retired. Is there anything wrong with it?
The Camry is running well. At such mileage, our paramedic voldumbteer is concerned that something may fail and cause a breakdown during a delivery. I have new sparkplugs but no time to install them. Is one-at a-time OK? Also have never changed the antifreeze.

Should the Expedition be sold and we use just one vehicle?
The Camry is used for STAT transports which sometimes become emergent.
The Expedtition is used for emergent transports and during blizzards and when roads are closed.

How about an AWD Fusion with the 2.0L Turbo, or a SHO Taurus? either or those would be roomy enough, both have AWD and plenty of power. The WRX as others have suggested would also be a good choice

Robert ,
Do you ever need two vehicles at once ? ( simultaneaous deliveries to two different patients or places )
Do you need all the the space in the Expedition ? ( Like I do in my EL, 3 big kids and all their stuff and friends )
Will there ever be one vehicle out of service or otherwise in use and need the other ?
Factors like that will determine wheather to combine functions.

Another good consideration would be to get a vehicle like the local law enforcement.
Why ?
Recognition by the other traffic.
You have a roof mounted light bar so you want the traffic ahead to look in their mirrors and instantly recognise you as a legitimate ‘‘get outta the way’’ emergency vehicle.

Kind like all the old Crown Vics that are getting into the general populace as used cars, I see one of those in the mirror and just never know…so I make sure of my speed and everything untill I can see them clearer. ( looking for an A pillar spot light clue for an un-marked )

^ Ha! I never get to go the speed limit in the Expedition because many think it’s law enforcement and drive BELOW the speed limit!
Mother called it the “halo zone”.
Wish that I could remove the light bar when not in use to lessen wind drag. (On the Jeep Cherokee I removed it beforeturning from hospitals.)

12-second video of the authorized emergencyehicle recorded by a photo red light camera.
https://cite-web.com/citeweb3/PlayFLV.asp?vFile=/DenverImg/Images/2013/12/Dep_103168/20131224_223552_10107_000022.flv

To get the $75 fine and $29 personal service charge dismissed, I had to go to court.
Judge interrupted the Photo Red Light agent: “Not Guilty”

Merely medical. I do not want to look like law enforcement.
Was flagged down by a woman thinking I was police. I called them for her.

There is no shortage of practical alternatives. I assume you want reliable and inexpensive to operate. A Prius is hard to beat for that, though any reliable small car would do fine. Stretching out to nap isn’t very practical in any car, including the Prius. It’s seats don’t recline any more than most. You might check out the larger Prius V. It may be easier to nap in, though I doubt it.

If you really want to be able to nap in back something like the Transit Connect woukd be ideal. The picture in the other post was of last year’s model. This year is more vanlike and comes in two wheelbase. The ahort wheelbase version has a cargo bed too short for comfortable sleeping unless you’re very short. The long wheelbase version has plenty of room. They are very reasonably priced, though lack the niceties of many passenger cars. Gas mileage won’t be outatanding, though better than most vans.