Repair or Buy?

Need some advice. I have a 1998 Toyota Rav 4 with 186,000 miles. I’ve been told it needs syncro gears and probably a new clutch at the same time - approx a $4000 repair job, so I’m told. It runs quite well other than the shifting problem, and burning a little oil.

Is it worth putting that much money into a vehicle that has that many miles on it, or should I put that money into something newer?

I’d say be happy you got so many miles from your vehicle, but think about moving on to something newer.

That estimate seems high. Was it from a Toyota dealer? No wonder! Before throwing in the towel, turn to the Yellow Pages to find independent transmission shops. Get new estimates; you may be able to save a considerable amount on repairs. If so, go for it!

I am guessing this is a manual transmission vehicle? You may be able to find a used or even rebuilt tranmission installed for possibly half or less the price. I would get at least another estimate for the work and then decide. You’re right at the cusp of getting rid of.

Thanks for your replies and input!