Reommended maintenance rip-off

I bought new a Honda 2007 CRV. I go back to the dealer’s service center for “routine maintenace” following their recommended schedule. It costs a bundle and I have no idea what services I have to do to maintain the car’s warranty and what I can let slide. In fact, I have to ask: do I have to go to a certified Honda repair shop, or can I go to a mechanic perhaps recommended by this website?

Open the glove box. It’s that little thing that rests in front of the front passenger seat, usually integrated into the dash. There will be a booklet or 5, most likely wrapped in plastic still. In it will be tons of useful things like what maintenance to do when and other important things about the vehicle.
You do NOT need to go to a dealership to perform these tasks, just as long as you keep your receipts from the shop(s) that did the work should anything happen to the vehicle while under warranty

The first thing you should do is open the glove box and dust off the owners manual. That forgotten booklet will pretty much tell you all you need to know, with only a few exceptions.

You do not have to go to the dealer to maintain the warranty nor do you have to go to a certifed? Honda repair shop. One thing you should do is maintain a log of everything done and keep all receipts.

Any shop can perform these services. The one gray area would be if an independent shop makes a mistake (no oil, wrong trans fluid, or whatever) and this leads to damage do not expect Honda warranty to come in and cover somebody’s else’s faux pas. That is as it should be.

Also you can ask specifically what items of service is included in the recommended package. Sometimes it is better for you to list the services you want and let the garage do those. There are some you can do and that may cut down on the overall cost of the service.

At billing time, a quality garage will provide you with a list of what was done and what fluids, parts, etc were required and replaced. If you don’t get that, find a better garage.

Sarcasm aside, the answers really are in your owner’s manual. It will inform you of the minimum services you should have at each suggested checkpoint. The dealer will add on his own, all unecessary. When you prepare for your next appointment we can advise you further.

There is no reason to ever return to the Honda dealership again except for warranty work and recalls. Save all receipts.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I have to ask this question:

Why do so many people, like the OP, claim that they have no clue as to how to maintain their vehicle, or how to operate certain controls, or where the fuse box is, or what octane gas the engine requires, or how to check the oil, or…?

I don’t mind helping people with issues that are not obvious, but–My God–this is not rocket science! Every new car comes with an Owner’s Manual and with a Maintenance Schedule, and all it takes to find out this apparently obscure information is to open the glove compartment and read the materials that were provided with the car.

No technical knowledge is required–only the ability to open the glove compartment and the ability to read booklets that are written so that someone with an 8th grade education can comprehend them. How much simpler could it be?

I’m sorry, but people who make themselves helpless for no good reason are just a puzzlement to me.

Like others said look at your owners manual. Some dealers are very maintenance happy while others simply do what is recommended in manual.

I would highly suggest a specialized Honda/Acura shop, they will likely give you best service/knowledge on your vehicle needs.