Removing mufflers

The law around here when it comes to state inspection is that the only criteria for exhaust systems is the “presence” of a catalytic converter, doesn’t meant it actually has to work, you just need to have something that looks like a cat installed. The only other rule is that the exhaust pipes have to exit behind the passenger?s compartment, and that’s about it. There is no emissions testing here.

In the interest of disclosure, I will admit that neither of my vehicles have catalytic converters. The one on the Bronco failed around the 180k mile mark, so I just run straight pipes on that. My Mustang has a catless-X pipe installed. Both of them continue to pass inspection every year, turns out nobody really cares.

Frankly, I’m glad that the cops where I live concentrate on arresting drug dealers, rapists, and thieves rather going around ticketing people for loud exhausts

Get cat-back system with single chamber mufflers from Flowmaster.

Summit Racing has a nice catalog and Mustang section. Don’t run straight pipes. It sounds horrible.

The list below includes companies that make well-tuned and good-growling exhaust systems for the Mustang. Some website will play audio clips of their products sound, and YOUTUBE has hundreds of exhaust sounds on hundreds of cars:

Flowmaster
Gibson
Magnaflow
Steeda
Pypes
Borla
Roush
Ford Racing

Nobody pays any attention to me…Maybe if I take the mufflers off my bike, truck, car, people will notice me…Maybe I will BE somebody…Even if they think I’m stupid, that’s better than nothing at all…

Maybe some people do it for their own personal tastes. I enjoy hear the deep rumble of a V8. As for your claim, the same argument could be made for someone who buys a luxury car when an econo-box would fulfill the same duty, eh Caddyman?

“Maybe some people do it for their own personal tastes.”

Fine with me, as long as I don’t have to listen to it…

What state are you from? Sounds like the trucks are all loud and the cops are busy chasing lots of drug dealers, rapists, and thieves! I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time until your emissions rules get tightened up like everywhere else.

I live in the Commonwealth of Virginia. And some in counties emissions testing is manditory, in my county it’s not…yet.

The good news is you don’t have to, at least not for any length of time seeing how cars and trucks tend to be in motion when they are running.

When I was reading your previous post it brought to mind when one of my brothers lived near Fredricksburg. He often complained about his redneck neighbors firing up their loud pickup at 5AM on a Saturday morning.

I remember back in the 1950’s, a locally based inter-city bus company ran buses with Flxible (yes, the spelling is correct) bodies on GM chassis. The engines were straight eight Buick engines with an open exhaust system (no muffler). Our neighbors had a 1946 Buick Roadmaster and they replaced the stock muffler with a gutted muffler. It sounded just like the buses mentioned above. They apparently liked having their car sound like a bus.

define “better”…

As was said, the cops don’t normally bother bikes or cars with loud exhausts nor do they normally bother with burned out license plate lights or even moderate speeders. It’s my view that 1. They are lazy and 2. They keep this stuff in reserve to stop any vehicle if they think something else is going on that they are really after.

I would not run with straight pipes, but I love the sound of duals with good glass-packs. The problem is–which mufflers sound best?

The OP is not looking for quieter mufflers

OP, these guys on here have no imagination, a V8 Mustang doesn’t sound very good stock. A good Hollywood muffler or two can help a lot.