Removing Dust Safely from a Car’s Surface

For a car that is garaged but not driven daily, what is a safe way to remove the dust that settles on the surface? I’ve been told that as long as the car is clean (other than light dust) it’s safe to use a quick detail spray and microfiber cloth to remove the dust.
Any suggestions? Thanks

California car duster is the best for light dust. These have been around for years.

2 Likes

Agee with COROLLAGUY1. I would think using a detail spray on dust would convert the dust to mud!

Won’t most of the dust come off just by driving the car at highway speeds? I never had a car that I worried that much about dust.

1 Like

The very expensive paint on collector cars that receive a spray wipe down before crossing the auction block just shows that there are products for dust removal . I suggested that this OP look at Autogeek web site in another thread and there are many detailing videos on YouTube .

Thank you. I have used a quick detailer and a spray wax detailer in the past. I have owned a California Duster. I probably did not know what I was doing, but when I used it, the wax tips streaked on my paint. No damage. But I had to wipe the car down, which is what I was trying to avoid.
As for driving at highway speeds, there is still a light film of dust clinging to the surfaces. Thanks for the suggestions and information.

I just use detail spray and a clean microfiber cloth. I generally give the cloth a quick spritz (just a single spray or two), and then lightly mist the the section of car I’m dusting, turning the cloth after every other wipe or so.

I have had good luck with a product called Prolong (funny name). It is a waterless car cleaner. It never caused any harm to my copper Miata or my black Lexus finish and it smells nice too. Both would sit for a while and get fusty or be driven on dry days and then need just a bit of a clean, not a full wash. I first got the Prolong stuff as a free sample and let it sit forever. When I finally used it, I loved it and bought more over the years. I have also had good luck with the California car duster, but you do have to follow the directions on how to prepare the wax in advance. Here are some details from BestRide if interested.

Hosing the car off with plain water is a pretty simple way to remove the dust without scratching the paint. Takes 2-3 minutes. After hosing, wipe it dry with a towel or chamois if you want to avoid water spots.

I’d just use the Quick Detailer and a micro fiber towel, but other stuff might be better. It’s just like dusting furniture though with Pledge, but I imagine it depends how much dust we are really talking about. Anything more than a fine layer, I think should be sprayed off. And no driving a car with dust at 70-80 mph does nothing to blow the dust off. That little micro burst tonight did the job for me though.

Lick clean with tongue.

1 Like

And there’s that option

Lol. Thank you all for the information

Sorry @George_San_Jose1 but you aren’t going to be able to do that anymore in California are you? If they are restricting showers and laundry, what about washing a car?

1 Like

It’s a capital crime.

1 Like

More like a capitol crime, huh?

The rules probably varies city to city. We aren’t technically in a drought here in most of northern Calif, b/c we got an over-abundance of water last year. I think it is allowed to wash cars in most cities here if you want to. Most people in this area take their cars to the car wash, b/c they have no interest in washing cars themselves. But the only diy’er car washing restriction I’m aware of is you have to use a hose end attachment sprayer with an automatic shut off. In any event when I squirt the dust off w/a hose, afterward I collect the run-off water in a bucket and use it to water the lawn. My neighbor keeps asking me why I’m scooping the water from the low spot in the gutter. “Why don’t you just allow the water to run down the gutter?” he asks… lol …

I thought it was a 55 gallon a day state law that would over-ride city regulations? Or not implemented yet.

I remember way back our Governor Perpich then said our water would become a most valuable resource in the future like the iron ore deposits. People thought he was a little looney but maybe not. Still we’re not about to ship water out of state.

Google “San Jose Water Use Restrictions” to see the list. Car washing is allowed, even cleaning the driveway with a hose if you want. There may be state restrictions on the total amount of water / address, but if so I’ve never bumped into them. The main thing that provides folks incentive to use water wisely is the price brackets. The more you use, the more $/gallon you pay.

A couple weeks ago.