Getting snow off the car

My husband and I are having a debate about getting snow off the car. We got 3 or 4 inches of snow today and while he was at work, I used the snow brush part of a scraper/brush combo to wipe the snow off of our new used car. This is not a fancy import or expensive car. Just our regular family car. When he came home he asked me never to do that again because the brush could scratch the finish. I say it is more important to brush off the snow and any damage to the clearcoat could probably be taken care of by a good detailer in the spring.

Are there any better methods for removing snow from the car or is the snow brush safe enough? Thanks for any advice.

Tell your husband that getting rear ended by someone who is blinded by all the snow you left on your car will make a bigger mark. The bristles will be fine on your finish.

That’s what the brush part of the scrapper is for. Sweeping snow off the vehicle.

Tester

A brush should be fine. Try not to contact the hard plastic in the handle with any of your new cars “delicate” paint. In fact, clearcoat finishes are very durable. If you use a snow shovel to remove snow - be careful. Sometimes I have to resort to the shovel with dealing with 12+" inches of the white stuff.

The brush is fine but if he is going to be a pain the rear tell him to go to a good parts store (Big A, Carquest, NAPA, etc) and buy a snow broom. I bought mine at our automotive paint store. All dealerships use these. Its just a large foam runner blade on a broom handle and it works nice.

For a light powdery snow compressed air or a leaf blower works good.

It seems to me the goal is to remove the snow from the windows, not the entire car. I always used a plain 'ol house broom, like you’d use to sweep your kitchen floor, when I lived in snow country and never had any problems with damaging the windows or the finish.

As long as you didn’t use a wire brush it won’t hurt your the finish of the car.

A garage is the best way to keep snow off. A brush isn’t going to hurt the paint any and its illegal to drive a car with snow on it. The snow blows off the hood to cover the windshield, or off the roof to cover the back window, or off the car to cause problems for cars behind you. I’ve even used a push broom but agree if you spend a little more and get a gentle one. In the spring just have it detailed and waxed and tell him to get a life. Cars are designed to live in the elements.

+1 on the broom meaneyedcatz mentioned. They work awesome. As mentioned worry less about your paint and more about the liability of snow or ice coming off while driving. They’re cracking down on lazy people around here after some accidents caused by flying snow/ice chunks last year.

I always see one or two who are blinded coming to a stop and the entire roof contents slide down over the windshield…

Some states have begun to pass laws requiring snow buildup to be removed from vehicle roofs before driving on the highways.

I believe New Hampshire is one of them. This was in reaction to a woman who was killed in Nashua in an accident a few years ago from a large chunk of heavy crusty snow that flew off the roof of the vehicle in front of her.

I believe New Hampshire is one of them.

Yup…There’s a good number of people who just let their front wipers clear the snow…and nothing else.

New Jersey, Penn, New York also just to name a few tha thave laws about learing snoe from your car.

Great post…it’s too often we get peole proudly displaying a foot of snow on top their car and a peep hole for viewing…get the snow off, even if you have to use a pick ax.
Thinking ahead works, especially in ice storms when you must leave cars out a work is the most challenging.

Living in Wisconsin, we get our share of snow.
Years ago I bought the softest push broom I could find about 16 inches wide, and we use that ONLY for snow removal from the cars around here. The bristles are softer that the normal snow brush too, but I mainly wanted something that took a wider swath and I could push the snow off the other passenger side of the vehicle, then pull out and get the snowblower out.

Using a flamethrower is out, I guess.

Seriously, I use a shop broom with a long handle. You can usually hold it such that it just kinda floats over the surface.
Sure, it may mar the paint maybe a little but that’ll buff out as opposed to someone hitting you because not being able to see you - that won’t.

Tell Husband To Put “Build Wife A Garage” On His Honey-Do List.

Meanwhile, have him put up an easy to assemble metal carport.

CSA

Using a brush designed for the task helps but brushing snow in layers and trying not to brush all the way to the finish minimizes the contact if that’s an issue. I will second CSA’s suggestion about a car port. You are much more apt to use it then a garage and it’s both safer and more convienient… Plus, you can party out of doors rain or shine. The problem is, you can 't take it with you. You car’s finish will appreciate the investment in the winter or summer, more then any other single thing I can think of. Yes, it keeps frost off the windshield too .

If you brush gently and make sure the car is waxed in late fall, you shouldn’t have a problem. We keep our cars for eight to ten years and none of them have shown any brush marks from removing snow. I’m pretty particular about keeping our cars in nice shape, for what that’s worth.

Also, paint is softer in hot temperatures and harder in cold temperatures, so that works in your favor here.

Yes, NH is one of them. And it is a law that I support.

A brush is fine, but if it causes conflict between you and hubby there’s also a soft foam rubber pusher on a stick specifically made for the job. I can’t remember what they’re called, but they’re available at any parts store and many other stores.

If you wax your car and use Rain-X or equivalent on the windshield, the snow will slid off easier.