Removing a whole bumper vs spot painting a small scratch

I got a 2 inch deep scratch on the left side of my front bumper where the paint is completely chipped off. I asked a few auto repair shops around to see if they can repaint the scratch. All have said that they would need to remove the whole bumper and do a 3 stage color. I tried asking if they could just tape off the small area around the scratch to spray it because I think it’s a bit excessive to remove THE WHOLE bumper for a small scratch on just one spot. However almost everyone said they did not recommend it because either:

1.) their shop can’t do a spot fix on a 3 stage color (my car color is pearl white)
2.) their shop can do a spot fix but it would not last long and this car is newly bought so i would be keeping it for a few years.

I am really leaning on doing a spot fix since it’s cheaper and faster (I am a full time commuting student so I can’t spare anymore than 2 days in the shop) but knowing that spot paint longevity and quality may not be the best concerns me. Also I am not very knowledgeable about car stuff so I really need help with this decision. Should I choose a full bumper repaint or a spot paint job?

If you want it done right, repaint the entire bumper.

Tester

1 Like

why not live with the scratch until you have the time and funds to get it done correctly? for now you can by a small bottle of touch up paint. it comes with a small brush attached to the inside of the cap. just fill in the scratch. your paint color code is on a tag on the door jamb so you can get the correct color.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I guess I’ve just been too stressed out lately to stop and rationally think about just living with the scratch for now and get it properly fixed when I have the means to in the future. I’m also so bummed out that my brand new car already has a big scratch that I wanted to fix it asap when it could honestly wait. Thank you.

Actaul new car or just new to you . If you have full coverage you might get it fixed for just your deductable .

1 Like

Have you considered using your insurance to repair this? A new car should have full coverage. Not sure how high a deductible you have vs. the price quoted for the repair but consider that.

A spot repair will look OK today and bad later. Either just use touchup paint to fill the scratch or get it done correctly. You need a bottle of touchup paint anyway to take care of little rock chips that will happen in normal driving. You can get it from the dealer or over the internet.

2 Likes

look at the brighter side. you wont have to worry anymore that the front bumper will get scratched. now as far as the rest of the car, thats another story. LOL

2 Likes

and if you have full coverage you may have car rental coverage too. if you do you wont have to worry about being without a car during the repair.

1 Like

Teenage me worked a summer-job at a Colorado cattle ranch. One day the ranch owner comes back to the ranch driving a brand new truck. He immediately shovels in a load of gravel into the bed. I ask him why, after all its going to scratch the paint. Rancher: Exactly. Now I won’t have to worry about scratching the paint on my new truck. … lol … It’s all a matter of emphasis I guess.

1 Like

When I buy a car, I plan to keep it for such a long time that the scratch does not affect the value of the car. In the meantime, the scratch just gives the car its "“patina”.

4 Likes