Remember my 2005 Mazda 6 wagon thread? Now it's repair old or buy used

Well, the car finally died. I’m heartbroken. :sob: Smoke coming out of the engine when driving, NOT when standing still. One person said based on that it was overheating. Took it to repair guy (who has worked on it before) but have yet to talk to him about what’s wrong with it, can it be fixed, etc. If you remember one of my last discussions, it was about getting a new engine or buying something else. So I guess my question is still: assuming I need a new engine, do I get that or buy used? I’m looking online at a VW Golf Alltrack: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e75ea29d-db0a-4881-a96a-f03fe6810319/ and a 2018 Subaru Outback: 2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i for sale in Batavia, NY - CARFAX.

I’ve read reviews of both and looked at comparison reviews and they seem to be pretty equal depending on what one wants. Plus they’re both well under the new prices I’d have to pay if I bought new. I prefer good cargo space. My Mazda has over 60 cubic ft of space with the seats folded down. Can’t find any other car with over 30 or 40 ft. That’s why dealers always steered me to a van when I said I wanted my car’s cargo space, that I won’t find any car that has close to that.

I figure I may have up to 10 yrs left in me - have nothing medically wrong that will kill me, but assume from family history that’s about it - so I don’t want to buy a new car - mostly that I don’t like ANYTHING out there. Dislike electiic, hybrid, plus the prices are outrageous. So I’d get used and hope it lasts up to 10 yrs.

A couple other questions: How would I find someplace to buy an engine from if that was what I wanted to do? And between those 2 cars - the VW Golf and the Subaru Outback, which would be the better option?

Thanks again to all who offer their opinions.

This was my original thread if anyone’s interested. Advice on what to do

Your first post in 2007 said that you wanted a pickup truck so you could start a remodeling business . You also said you were 24 years old which makes you 41 now. If you started that business then you should know by now that a truck or work van is what you need .

2 Likes

A very simple Google search will identify vendors selling used and new engines.

You must be looking at the ‘seats up’ number, many CUVs have over 65 ft3 of space with the rear seat folded down (Forester, CRV, Rav4 etc.)

edit - or by ‘car’, did you mean ‘sedan’? Then I agree, no sedan will have the storage space of your Mazda 6 wagon. No surprise there.

2 Likes

Mr. Mustang , there you go again being logical .

2 Likes

Logic has non place here, specifically looking at @Robert-Gift , @TheWonderful90s and a few others i can’t remember.

2 Likes

Just b/c there’s smoke coming from the engine compartment doesn’t necessarily mean the engine is toast. Could be a minor oil leak that’s dripping onto the hot exhaust system. It doesn’t take much oil to create a lot of smoke. Good idea to monitor the engine oil level in the meantime. And carry a fire extinguisher, in case the oil causes an engine fire. Unlikely, but within the relm of possibilites. If you have electric door locks, make sure you know how to open the doors from the inside manually. Try it, be sure you can do it for safety reasons.

Mazda’s are pretty robust, so don’t presume you need a new engine.

1 Like

Sounds like a great car, expected to catch fire and the door handles are broken.

1 Like

IMO a Mazda 6 Wagon is a candidate for a potential classic.

More useless Luddite advice . Even with electric door locks this 2005 Mazda will have interior door handles.

1 Like

I hope that @remodeler doesnt live in a drought stricken area. The Park Fire in Butte County, CA was started when a man pushed a burning car into a gulley. It has now engulfed 164,000 acres, including the north end of Chico. I have a long time friend that lives on the north side but he hasn’t had to evacuate yet.

You are the only one .

1 Like

You never know what might catch the eye of collectors.
I would never buy an “antique” four door sedan (other than a factory limo), yet people buy them.

Early 60s, woodies from the 40s&50s were sold at give away prices. My dad sold our 1950 Nash Statesman 2Dr sedan in 1963 for $50.00, and it was rust free and ran great.

Never can predict what will become a collectors item.

In 6 more years, it will be a classic, but collectable and desirable?? Possible but not probable…

3 Likes

The OP won’t be making any decisions on the (small) chance of this car becoming desirable a few decades from now, I hope.

2 Likes

It’s probably worth more to the OP but Mazda dealer’s didn’t order many of these wagons for the lot, The 5dr Hatch would also be of more interest to those Mazda5 fans. This car should have a full inspection like if you were buying it from a private party… Co-worker put a LKQ used engine for his 2004 Mazda3 with less than half the miles it. Replaced the clutch and flywheel along with a few suspension coimponents and plans to keep driving it until iit has another 100,000 miles on it. Would put the 2004 Mazd3 at about 350,000mi in total but the car’s in great shape for the mileage. Worth it to him to keep the car he’s very happy with over spending much more on something newer that he doesn’t know.

We had a used car inspection done on the 1990 Mazda Protoge we had and at 170,000mi at the time it didn’t have anything we didn’t already know about but it helped decide to keep going for a few more years.

Well, my post is moot. Car apparently won’t pass ispection due to rotted rusted frame and mechanic says it’s not safe. So although the engine had an issue - they didn’t say what it was because when they saw the frame they didn’t bother to look at it - it’s the frame rust due to our salted roads in the winters that seem to be lasting longer. So it’s junked. Now looking for something that will last at least 10 years? Hopefully I’ll go before it does because I don’t want to have to look for another car in 5 or 6 years if I’m still here. But thanks much for opinions.

Other question: I’m told to stay away from VWs, but the Outbacks are good. Any recommendations for wagons hopefully in the $20k and under range with not a ton of miles?? Looking online there’s a bunch in other states, no much near me that I can find yet. And almost all sure don’t have what my wagon had even over $20k.

How did you find my post from 2007? I can’t find it…

Just to answer your reply about “seats up” measurements - no, all the cars, SUVs, etc, that I looked at way back when were with the seats down. Comparing seats up to seats down would be like comparing apples to oranges. That’s why dealers always steered me to vans, because NOTHING had anywhere close to my 63cuft.

BTW, what’s a CUV??

And no, by “car” I didn’t mean sedan. Never even looked at a sedan. Again, compared to a wagon, apples and oranges. Only ever looked at what was considered a wagon. And when they steered me to SUVs, those aren’t wagons. Didn’t have half the space. That was way back when.

Not hard at all if you know where to look…

1. Go to your profile page
  2. Look to the right column where it says TOP TOPICS
  3. If you do not see your post the go to the bottom of the column and it will say More Topics in red, click on that…
  4. go to the bottom of the page and there ya go…