Reliability of 10th Gen Honda Civic

During this time they made 2L and 1.5L Turbo.
Later they added various safety options such as automatic braking etc.

Negative reviews on Edmunds appears that people wanting to give up on Honda.

The attraction is 40mpg on freeway without a battery. When a rented a Honda, it saved me from rear ending as I fall asleep approaching a traffic signal after a red eye flight. When I drove on winding road, it also was braking momentarily on its own recognizing trees.

Hatchback is also a nice feature - but they all might be turbo?

Should I buy this car to replace 1st gen Volt? If so a specific engine model or year/model is more reliable? I am concerned about the reliability of the Honda. If not which used car should I get? I sat in a Venza by Toyota - its prob expensive but it was too big inside!

The 1.5T in the Civic and CRV’s before 2018 had oil dilution concerns and batteries dying more often than expected, In 2018 Honda did a bunch of updates that should have been performed by the dealer at service that were carried forwards to the 2019 Model’s. Dad has a 2019 CRV with the 1.5T and hasn’t had any problems in 4yrs of ownership.

Hatchback’s were all the 1.5T for USA from what i understand.

A turbo engine almost certainly isn’t going to be as reliable as a non-turbo. Simply b/c the turbo version has more parts that can fail: the turbo unit itself, the waste gate, the intercooler, and all the piping in between. And most require a vacuum pump too. Not to say a turbo-engine design can’t be made to be reasonably reliable, but a non-turbo version of the same engine will almost certainly be even more reliable.

3 Likes

All about gas mileage.
Does Toyota have turbo models?

They’re switching the V6 vehicles over to turbo 4. Also lots of non turbo 4 hybrids, and a turbo 4 hybrid.

1 Like

The problems may be related to the changes made for the new generation that aren’t related to turbocharging. G10 started in MY2016, and there were a lot of problems. Almost all were AC/heater or accessory related. The vast majority of the engine problems were stalling. There has been a steady decrease in problems reported since MY2016.

As per @jtsanders link, here are the issues with 2019 Civics:
<2019 Honda Civic Problems, Defects & Complaints>
Clicking each category, perhaps 1 person had concerning issue! Infortainment issue can be costly - wipe out all the gas savings!

From my experience, Civic, Integras and CRVs share a lot of the parts.

THanks @jtsanders for the link.

2 Likes

Hard to tell how pertinent that sort of data is though. The more recent model years are the newer cars of the set. Newer cars are expected to need fewer repairs than older cars. And newer cars are mostly being repaired under warranty, so probably less likely those repairs are reported to the “Car Complaints” agencies. It’s hard for me to believe after 100K miles the turbo version of the same engine will prove to be as reliable as the non-turbo version. No way to know, just have to wait to see.

I am tempted to get the hatchback - but my friends tell if turbo breakdown, it will be expensive fix. I heard some other dilution issues and also some cleaning required on the engine! Is this still a concern on a car that is made in 2019?

Been checking on CivicX (10th gen forums) for any discussions on this topic and from what I can tell the dilution is more of a problem in colder states but one suggestion is to change your oil more frequently than the minder would tell you to. We have the same engine in the CRV and the oil changes are at the dealer and about every 4,000mi. My brother’s had a 2009 Golf GTI with a turbo since brand new on a service schedule for the long term. We look at reliability as both how often the vehicle has to be repaired and the annual cost.

We’ve thrown more money at an unreliable Chrysler product on a constant basis than we’ve needed to spend on either the 2019 or his previous 2007 CRV. The 2019 has so far been just as reliable as the 2007 to date with a bonus of 7-8mpg more on the same loop.

So 2009 Golf GTI held up well - no major expenses - turbo never broke down?

For the bonus of 7-8mpg, more frequent oil change was needed? Unsure if the benefit cancels the cost of oil change?

As far as I’m aware the GTI’s held up well, knowing the shop that’s been caring for it since brand new they’ve been going beyond VW’s schedule and they’ve avoided needing to replace the turbo or other major repairs. It’s his fun car and stress release after a day working the ICU so it get’s fanatical care which has kept it in good shape.

The CRV get’s oil changes earlier than most would suggest but it’s more of a precaution for us. Can go to our trusted independent for services if we don’t want to pay dealer pricing but all the oil changes have been done by the local dealer for a reasonable price, Used to throw the same amount of money a month at much less reliable vehicles that it costs to keep the Honda CRV happy for a year. When he bought the 2019 He wanted better mpg than the 2007 got and it was enough of a bump without getting the hybrid version and can tow a 1,500lb load on occasion without complaint.

We have a longstanding relationship with an Indy mechanic that has treated us so much better than the dealership over the years and charges very reasonable prices for great services.

I do not have an Indy m/c nearby.

Costco is cutting down on Engine oil stock in my area - perhaps more people are driving Tesla in CA. They only keep 5W30 lately and reduced the real-estate.

Do any of you see much promo on engine oil lately? I don’t. I used to buy them for pennies but now my inventory is empty and waiting for a promo. Of course with the loss of the beloved gen-3 Integra, I am also not changing oil as frequent as I used to - perhaps same argument for Costco for cutting down on inventory?

With inflation, labor for oil change has gone from $20 to $30! Easily an oil change cost $70 even if you are frugal.

I would love a Civic hatchback - my gen-1 Integra with 5 doors was 30 something old when I sold it - it moved a lot of my furniture. I would love the extra power. I am still on the edge as I don’t know enough about turbo.

SAAB used to make turbo and were popular in Colorado. Turbo should be a concern in a colder state, like east cost?

Here is a mixed review:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civic/comments/tg6feb/how_reliable_are_the_15t_engines/?rdt=43391

Oil gets dark quickly as one states. I guess color is not necessarily an indicator as another says he went past 172k without an issue.

A detailed article:
https://honestengineonline.com/honda-1-5-turbo-problems

1 Like

Gen 10 of the Civic was 2016-2021. The overall reliability of the 2016 and 2017 was Average; 2018 was Much Below Average; 2019 Below Average; 2020 Above Average; 2021 Much Better Than Average.

This is from the Consumer Reports April 2023 Auto Issue, and is based on their surveys of their readers’ experiences. The published data is not detailed enough to cover individual models, engines, etc.

3 Likes

Are there other cars did better than Civic?

Corolla is better or much better than average 2014-2022, 2023 average.

1 Like

If I prefers 5-doors and good gas mileage?
Incidentally I also have a 2nd gen Mazda 5.They stopped production!

Then the current Prius would be great.