Reinsert torque conv. into trans

Sorry, you probably have ruined it by niw.

I pulled the TC off of the trans and it appears that I pushed the seal in about 1/2" deeper than the retainer. This is consistent with what my NAPA guy here suggested as he sold me a new seal with the retainer clip. The splines look pristine. The transmission is about due for a change of filter and oil so probably tow it to the guy who installed the transmission 3 years ago. I’m thinking that he can get a look at the pump you guys are sweatin’ over and if it is broke than before using the transmission I can maybe get that pump part replaced.

ok4450, indeed this is very difficult and now I’ve sufficient doubts to pull it apart and follow your suggestion. I know Tom & Ray would argue that in the interests of science (and defying laws of probability) I should probably try my way first. (Afterall it is almost all back together).

So it’s academic now, but for future reference-

I understand that was the easiest way to take it apart w/seized engine. Now you know it would have been easier to put the TC in the trans prior to reassembly. The only thing I’m going to add is you could have done it the way you did without damage. No matter which approach, the first step in reassembly is to pull all the spark plugs. There is an inexpensive tool for grabbing the flex plate teeth and rotating the engine that way. It makes bolting the TC to the flex plate SO much easier. Once you had the two close, rotate flex until TC slots line up with pump and it slides in. Then push trans rest of way home.

By the same token, the time to replace the filter was when it was out from under the truck. Drain before removal. Flip over when out and do the pan/filter in a comfy position…

Wait. I guess I was being unclear. I never moved the trans out. I disconnected the cross-member brace and the rear u-joint so that I could elevate the front of the trans to slide the TC into place which I did with considerable turning by hand (that is inexpensive) of the flexplate with engine attached. It is slow to turn but I think I managed 4 to 5 full rotations and could feel the stepping in of the shaft at two points. The last step took more coercion as I described. Now that I’ve pulled them apart again I just don’t know what the criteria is for deciding that the seal is damaged. Can that be assessed from an external view?

About all I can offer is that you need to closely examine everything; the bolt hole ears on the transmission and engine block, the flex plate, and so on. That bang you heard could have been a converter just slamming home on the splines or it could have been metal cracking elsewhere.

I hear Clint Eastwood’s voice asking me if I feel lucky.

Holy cow, don’t you have that thing together yet? Several here have told you the correct procedure.

Sorry Elly. The weekend here y’know means the part shops are closed, it is the boonies beyond the sticks. Other life events take precedent . . . like one of my daughters announced her engagement and I have to do my real work so I can buy car engines. As far as what I’ve been told, it would appear that I need to tear open the transmission now to replace the trans pump. However from what I’ve seen and measured, it doesn’t seem possible for the shaft to reach any further into the trans housing than it is designed to and therefore would not/could not damage the pump.

it doesn’t seem possible for the shaft to reach any further into the trans housing than it is designed to

That’s true. But if the locating slots are not lined up between the two, you’re applying force to something that normally isn’t designed to take it. When things go bang, something had a lot of pressure on it and then slipped into place or broke. Maybe you got lucky and escaped any real damage. Won’t know until you look.

Those tabs will break off of the pump rotor especially if it is not lined up properly when put together. The first time you start the engine, they break. Trans will not have hydraulic pressure meaning no go…

transman

Caddy, Researcher, AEC master, OK, and Transman ALL gave you sound advise…The “bang” you heard as you forced the bell-housing against the block was the transmission oil pump exploding, the drive dogs were not lined up…