Refrigerant Capacity

I’ve got a friend who had a leak repaired on his '98 Chevy S-10 pickup, but didn’t have the system recharged. I have a vacuum pump and gauges and told him I would pull a vacuum and recharge it for him, but he doesn’t know the refrigerant capacity and I don’t have manuals on this model. Does anyone know the capacity? I’m figuring 1.5-2 lbs, but would like to know exactly what’s recommended by GM before starting on it so I can tell him how much refrigerant to buy.

I found the answer to my own question. 32 oz refrigerant and 8 oz oil. Here’s a link to refrigerant capacities for all makes and models in case anyone needs the information. http://napabeltshose.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=NapaCapacityGuide2-8-05.pdf&folder=news&view=napa_hc&location_id=1078

The spec should not be interpreted as etched in stone either because of a number of things that can influence the refrigerant capacity.
Many GM vehicles have a small tag on the evaporator housing, etc that may provide that info also.

Personally, I go by vent temperature and system pressures rather than any book specification although in theory everything should be similar.

I also watch the vent temps and pressures. Just wanted to know how much freon to have on hand when starting the job.