Rebuilt VS OEM

The original trans in my 90 burb went at 128,000. The first rebuilt went approx. 40,000 and still running the second rebuilt.

Oem rear out at 127,000, rebuilt gone at 187,000. Well known shops doing work so why can’t the redone stuff get to the Oem mileage. Is this common? The rig has been used the same before and after work.

Just curious.

There’s “rebuilt” and there’s “rebuilt properly”. Maybe you’ve been getting the latter.

Some transmission rebuilders consider a proper rebuild nothing more than replacing the clutches, seals, gaskets, and then calling it good. In a nutshell, they simply throw those new soft parts in there without really checking anything as to fit and praying they never see you again. Most of the time these types of rebuilds will at least outlast the short warranty they offer.

As to the rear axle it can have a short lifespan if not set up properly as to the pinion, backlash, and whatnot.

Properly rebuilt, either one of those 2 things should last as long as the OEM all things equal.

Maybe. But have to say both shops have been around many years and are well respected. Both trans were sourced from outside vendors vs in house rebuilds and I wonder if that is part of the problem. In hind sight used parts would have been worth the roll of the dice.

Thanks for your time.

It’s impossible to say without knowing the vendors or the exact cause of the transmission failures.
Some vendors are reputable and other are not.

A trade paper here in OK advertises a number of transmission rebuilders in the Tulsa area and some of them sound very iffy to me. They advertise transmissions like a rebuilt 700R4 for 395 dollars or a 4L60E for 450 exchange and that sounds just too cheap to me to be considered trustworthy.

I bought a reman VW air cooled engine for someone from a parts house and this engine blew up 2 weeks later. Knowing full well it was nothing I did, I tore it apart and found the problem. A manufacturing screwup on the cylinder head to cylinder junctions.
The parts house referred me to their supplier (a.k.a. passing the buck) and I discovered that of the last 50 engines shipped out by the reman place that 48 of them came back with major problems within 90 days. With one hand they’re telling me this and with the other telling me they stand behind their quality control processes. What QC?

Same thing with a now defunct engine reman place in OK City. They used to advertise for engine rebuilders, “no experience necessary; 6.00 dollars an hour to start”. Ouch.
And this reman facility was huge. They shipped countless engines all over the country.

You might get a chuckle out of the following, but I didn’t. I installed one of their reman Chevy 350s in a pickup and it went through oil like a grounded Alaskan tanker.
Upon tearing it down I found that someone had forgotten the oil control rings. On one piston you could possibly see someone having a bad day but on all 8 of them?

Point being that a vendor may or may not be reliable.