Rear Trailing Arms on my 2000 Buick Century

I found out today that the rear trailing arm on the passenger side broke. I was going to replace them myself but don’t have the tools to get the bolts off that are badly rusted. So now I need to take it to a shop and I have decided to get the other side replaced as well. According to the labor guides I’ve seen it should take about an hour or two at a shop. I am hoping that this is not an expensive repair. Has anyone had a similar experience with these? They don’t look hard to replace, but I would need a torch to cut off the bolts and don’t have one to do it. Just curious about what to look for as far as cost. Thanks.

Did you give those bolts a whirl yet? You might be able to get them. Take some PB Blaster and soak them down. If you just have something as simple as a butane/propane torch use that - not to cut them, but just to get them good and hot. Hit them with some more PB Blaster. Perhaps also have a can of “freeze” spray - this goes the opposite way toward chilling it. A bit of PB Blaster, some heating, some cooling and I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get them.

If you’ve already been there/done that and just don’t want to be bothered, it shouldn’t be that big a deal for a shop. I have no direct knowledge of the cost though.

My input may be a little out of line because where I live rust is not an issue. But in my opinion when rust is bad enough that parts are actually breaking and fasteners are seized in place, the labor guide is completely irrelevant. It takes as long as it takes, and the clock is running at $90(or whatever)/hour. There may other damage/issues that aren’t evident until the trailing arm and bolts are removed. Rust may be in the mounting areas and need to be addressed as well.

These parts are inexpensive and generally an inexpensive repair. Order the arms and pick them up then find a low skill place like a muffler shop to install them.

A torch should get the job done, but take some time to make sure you don’t have any fuel leaks in the area first.

Mechanics in the rust belt are very efficent in dealing with rusted parts and very good with a cutting torch.

My son bought my 2003 Chrysler and used it in a move to Florida. It was in good shape for an 11 year old van in our area but the first repair he had done in Florida his mechanic seemed overwhelmed by the rust on everything underneath the car and exclaimed to my son that he didn’t think he could get any of the bolts out.

My son told him, well first you use a long pipe over your breaker bar and if that doesn’t work, a torch. You don’t waste time agonizing over it.