Rear seat headrest

My 1998 Subaru Outback sport has been a great little car. But now my kids are outgrowing their car seats, and the back seat does not have headrests. Is it possible to get them installed? Get a new rear seat with headrests?

Call a Subie dealer and see if a seat can be fitted or find which year they finally came out and try a scrapyard.

No, they cannot be installed, but you’re worrying to much. Your kids will be fine in the back seat.

Do you have any idea how many of us “older” folks survived The Old Days, when cars had no seat belts (the horror!) and there was no such thing as a child seat?

Put your kids in the back seat (where they should be), fasten their seat belts, and don’t worry. They will be as safe as they can be.

Do you have any idea how many of us “older” folks survived The Old Days, when cars had no seat belts (the horror!)

Frankly if that 1960 Corvair had seat belts, I would still have my two front teeth. There were quite a few people who are alive because cars now have them. That is not to say you are wrong, but there is a real advantage to having modern safety equipment.

I agree with you about the advantage of modern safety equipment. My Dad bought the first new car he had owned after WW II. This was a 1960 Rambler. He insisted that the dealer install seat belts. Three years later, my brother and mother were driving down to visit me while I was in graduate school. A semi rear-ended the car at a stop light. The Rambler actually buckled and the engine was pushed into the radiator. My mother and brother escaped the accident without injury. The Rambler also had a head rest on the right front passenger’s seat which prevented my mother from getting a whiplash. My Dad called to tell me about the accident and then sent me money to have seat belts installed on my car. My family always believed that the safety equipment saved them from serious injury or worse.

Yes, I’ve noticed that all the people who were killed by unsafe cars in The Old Days never seem to post here…