CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Rear door will not lock or unlock with keyless or button by driver

2006 Acura Mdx with 91K Miles. The driver side rear door will not lock/unlock either with the keyless or the keypad by driver. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Look for a broken wire in the harness that goes from the body to the door, thought 1

1 Like

Concur w/Barky. Look in the area of that door, near door hinge for a group of wires passing through. Is the wire insulation damaged ? If not that, next place is probably a problem with the door lock actuator itself.

Lock actuators commonly fail on Acuras of that age, so that’s my guess here.

I had a similar issue with a rear door lock (not an Acura), very recently. I suspected a broken wire or a defective lock actuator.

I removed the door trim panel and removed the electrical connector from the actuator. Using my Factory Service Manual I identified the 2 wire colors (out of 5 wires total) for “lock” and “unlock” and their locations in the plug. Using a simple continuity light I test both positions by cycling the lock/unlock button. Both lock and unlock tested “good”.

That confirmed for me that the problem was in the actuator itself (can be quite expensive), so I ordered one. I installed it and it works fine, now.
CSA

1 Like