Have always wanted a G-Body GP for a long time. In the process of restoring it and then started having issues when using the wipers, a faint puff of smoke came out at the turn signal lever. Parked the car, unhooked battery and then when I had the chance, my mechanic checked it out and couldn’t find anything wrong. Drove it again and started smelling something like burning wire. Parked the car again. Wanted to have someone else look at it, but started having health issues. The GP has sat for a few years, but starts right up when needs to be moved. Have kept the battery unhooked, in case of wiring issues with the wipers that could cause HUGE problems. Wondering if the wiper switch should be replaced. The back-up lights don’t work either. The switches at the bottom of the steering column have a light coating of surface rust. Windshield looks like it may have leaked at one time, as there’s white sealer around the moldings. Don’t know if this has anything to do with the rust on the switches and possibly the wiper issue.
Would really like to start driving the car again, but am wondering how much it would cost for the above problem. It’s got a lot of things that need fixed (i.e. infamous GM G-Body A/C module to firewall water leak which has rusted the right passenger floor board and other body stuff along with various mechanical things that come with old age…). With it sitting for a few years, that certainly has not helped it. Having health issues, of course, slowly put getting it restored on hold. The car isn’t is real bad shape, but it isn’t in perfect shape either. Am torn as to whether to continue restoring the car, or sell it, especially since it sits outside. I wish I could have afforded a GP that was in very good to mint condition. You don’t see them much anymore and when I saw this one, I bought it for $550. I did look it over before buying it. Of course, I didn’t know about the firewall leak until after the fact… It needs a new paint job. At least it’s not smashed up etc. All it needs is some TLC…
Would probably been money ahead if I had saved up and found a GP in VG to mint condition to begin with. But what is the chance of that? Right now, am unable to save much toward another GP, which would take YEARS to do. Really don’t want to sell the car. I enjoy driving it. As in life, may not get another chance to own a Grand Prix. That’s why I’m torn on whether to keep it, restore it or have to sell it. Thanks.