Good Price on Grand Prix

I want to sell my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with 100,000 miles on it. The body is in rough shape. Missing trim, dented door, lighter doesn’t work, needs a windshield. I have kept the mechanics up though replaced brakes, battery, master brake cylinder, solenoid transmission, wheel bearings, power steering hose, and a few minor things here and there. I want 5,300 at least to repay what I still owe on it. But so far my best offer is 4,500. What would you say is a fair price. Also, I am a single mom so I don’t really want to spend the time and money fixing it up, but if it would be worth it should I do it?

I don’t mean to sound flippant but with body damage that hasn’t been fixed, a buyer will assume the car was not treated very well.
I can certainly understand how the realities of life dictate priorities in what needs to be done first. Hopefully a buyer understands that as well but more likely he’d use it as a negotiation chip.

What you owe has, unfortunately, nothing to do with what the car is worth. When I went to the ‘appraise your car’ section at edmunds, I got a private party market value of only $2,700 for your car in ‘rough’ condition, $3,400 for ‘average’. I didn’t enter any options. Based on that, $4,500 sounds good.

wow you guys are great!

I would have taken the $4500 in a heartbeat. The price of Pontiacs, Saturns and Oldsmobiles will plummet in the near future.

well after they looked at it some more the 4500 people backed out. now I am going to have to sell it for peanuts

Find out what the going rate is for this car is good condition (around $5000) Then deduct what amount of money it would take to repair that car to that condtion. And that’s should be your starting point. Realistically, you’re not going to come close to breaking even. If someone offers you $3000, I’d take it.