Raw Gas Smell 2003 Honda Accord

I am getting a raw constant raw gas odor from under the hood - and in the cabin with the ventilation on. This happens whenever the engine is on - hot, cold, at start up or 50 miles down the road. No visible leaks, no drips - nothing. My lousy Honda dealer found nothing. Pressure check on the fuel system was fine,no leaking hoses, no check engine light, no codes. Smell seems to be coming from the behind the engine on the left side (looking at the engine from the front) - behind cylinders 1 and 2. 125k EX V6.

Is the CEL (Check Engine Light) on? I’ve dealt with similar issues with EVAP problems. The trouble could be a saturated charcoal canister venting gas fumes. On modern cars, any leaks or atmospheric venting should set a trouble code in the computer and turn the CEL on.

Thanks for responding - no CEL and the dealer said there was no code in the system. Where is the charcoal canister? If under the hood that could be it, but if not, I doubt it. I have been pretty careful to isolate the area the smell is coming from. It scares me a little that the dealer “gave up”!

Solved! After 2 repair shops and the HONDA DEALER (!!!), I found it myself. Apparently, the repair shops have no ability to actually look for problems unless they can find a CEL code for it. What a load of crap.

The problem? A loose frickin’ spark plug.

Apparently, the repair shops have no ability to actually look for problems unless they can find a CEL code for it.

That pretty much sums up the facts as they are right there.