Rattling noise after a very hard brake

they were Pittsburgh Jack Stands. I believe Daytona is a better brand.

My 2 ton jack stands from Oā€™Reillys (AC Delco?) look cheap so Iā€™m glad the lawyers are looking into faulty jackstands.

But what I do before getting under the car, and what Iā€™d do for the wheel bounce test, is use all of my hydraulic jack, scissor jacks, and jack stands, all at the same time. Along with bricks for the wheels on the ground.

Iā€™ve taken a big hammer to loosen stuck brake rotors, as well as other maneuvers that shake the car. Extra support is valuable even when youā€™re not underneath.

Went to mechanic #3 today. Lifted the car up slightly and played around with the wheel/suspension. The noise was very faintly heard. After a test drive he told me it is definitely the rear driver side shock in his opinion, likely to do with the mount. He went underneath and apparently tried to tighten something but then said it could also be something more ā€œinsideā€ the shock (??)

I left the shop and the noise was still there.

I gotta say aside from being close to giving up Iā€™m really disappointed in the lack of effort these mechanics seem to give these days when trying to truly get a job done. In any event I do beleive now it is in fact a problem with the driver side rear driver side mount. Not sure how a hard brake could have caused an issue with that, but Iā€™m thinking I have no choice left but to bring it into Honda.

I wonder if this would somehow be covered under my remaining powertrain warranty?

Thatā€™s suspension, not power train.

1 Like

Remember these folks need to make enough money to afford their living costs. If you agree to pay them their hourly rate for as long as it takes, many mechanics I expect will agree to that in writing. You may have to pay in advance though. Sort of like gardeners in my area, theyā€™ll only do work on a per job rate (in other words a fixed $ amount for the yard) that can be done quickly using power equipment. Lawn mowers, leaf blowers and the like. Any sort hand work, they charge by the hour. Most just say they donā€™t do hand work, b/c when they tell the homeowner how much its going to cost , it offends the homeowner, who often then discontinues their weekly service altogether. Theyve discovered the hard way, better to just reply ā€œno, sorry, I donā€™t provide that sort of serviceā€.

2 Likes