Random Thoughts On Car Advertising That Annoys Me

There was a Buick dealer, Bpb Catterson Buick, back in the late,1960s where Bob Catterson himself would be on the TV screen with,the line “Nooobody, but Noobody will sell you a new Buick for less money than Bob Catterson Buick. Why? Because old Bob needs the money, that’s,why!”.Bpb Catterson Buick was in Indianapolis, IN, but his commercials,were so,popular that he made this,commercial for car dealers all over the nation.

It use to be that car commercials were as good as beer commercials. But I agree they aren’t that good now.

Pet peeve about car commercials, and other companies like Arby’s, is when the amnouncer SHOUTS AND YELLS to make sure we hear the oh so great ad. Gotta love the mute button!

I think the 60s VW Beetle commercials were the ultimate classics. Very clever and did not insult anyone.

Two semesters of an advertising class were some of the best part of my college studies. A weekend four hour block class, the adjunct professor was an older gentleman who owned a local ad agency. His goal was to teach the basics so that we would all become savvy understanding the influences of advertising as consumers. Decades later I still automatically analyze ads for the target demographic, the purpose of the ad, the logic link, and the emotional manipulation, etc. That class was FUN.

That Toyota commercial with the ungrateful brat hiding from his parent’s daily driver and telling his parents how ‘cool’ the Highlander is.

I ran accross an ad for a company that produces ads for politicians. It was amazing how blunt they were in their assertion that for the right money they could get anyone elected to any office and they had no party preference. If a candidate had the money they could get them the vote. We really are a nation of suckers for the media.

Don’t forget all new trucks are made with " billet military grade unobtanium".

“I think the 60s VW Beetle commercials were the ultimate classics. Very clever and did not insult anyone.”

Absolutely!
I think that the most memorable one contained the line, “How do you think the guy who drives the snowplow gets to the snowplow?”

Of course, it showed a VW Beetle driving through unplowed snow, approaching a parked snowplow.

I always like that old VW commercial with the Beetle on the rack and a number of arms opening and slamming closed the doors, the rear deck lid, the trunk, etc all at one time.

The VW commercials made by Clarkson and May on Top Gear were pretty funny although not real of course.

Two commercials from Volvo back in the 70’s put them on the map in the US.

1. A volvo drives off a pretty high structure with the front taking the good portion of the impact. But they point out how good the passenger compartment held up and everyone should have lived.

2. The 1/4 race with a Volvo wagon and a Porsche. They crossed the finish line dead even.

My biggest pet peeve about car commercials developed after moving near Fuscillio Kia in south west Florida. There are other Fucillio dealers, in New Jersey, I think so others may suffer at his hand.

They are always giving stuff away with the purchase of a new car. Basically you are financing a car and a TV, or a mountainbike or something for 48,60 or 72 months at high interest rates.

The airwaves are covered with Billy Fuscillio’s tagline. Its Huuuuuuge! Always Huuuuuuge! Makes me grab for the Mute button!

"The 1/4 race with a Volvo wagon and a Porsche. They crossed the finish line dead even. "

Presumably, that was a 1/4 mile race, but I have to say that my '74 Volvo–on its best day–was a dog when it came to acceleration, and its handling was just so-so. Its only strengths were its very powerful 4 wheel disc brakes and its very comfortable seats.

That must have been a very special '70s era Volvo wagon if it was equal to a Porsche in a 1/4 mile race!

I will assume that the Porsche was a 912 and the driver missed on his shift to 3d.

I was wrong about the year (or for that matter decade).
It was 1987

Some UK made VW commercials had to be withdrawn due to public complaints since they were set to the hymn “What a Friend we Have in Jesus”. It showed a woman leaving her husband and throwing her ring down the sewer, but she almost did the same to the VW Jetta keys, but thought better of it!

We had those Fucillo commercials here in Los Angeles for awhile, also

Phonetically . . .

“It’s huge, LA, hyuu-guh”

My first thought was “I’d be smiling if somebody clocked this jerk and took out his front row of teeth”

He’s probably just as annoying in “real life”

:frowning:

He’s in Upstate NY too. He use to live there or his ex-wife lived there…because his kids went to school with my nephew.

I guess I am lucky because I just sort of blank out during commercials of any kind but I can retain a mental image of any attractive female person that was on the screen.

:tongue: