Random Deceleration between 0-40 Honda Accord 2002 V6

So I have a Honda Accord LX 2002 V6 and it’s been running fine up until now. The problem used to be, ever since about a month ago, if I was driving in the rain and I wanted to accelerate, there would be a slight hesitation for anywhere btw 1-3 seconds; it didn’t happen all the time, just randomly. Now, I just did an oil change on the car, and now the issue doubled. Instead of just hesitation, it now decides to start decelerating as soon as I take my foot off the gas, usually between 0-40 mph. The last time I had a problem like this, I replaced the coils, spark plugs, and I believe the O2 sensor as well. I’m out of ideas; I think that the problems are related and I’ve guessed that it might have something to do with the wiring; I’m running out of options, any ideas?

Um?

That’s what it’s suppose to do.

Tester

1 Like

I’m used to the car coasting slowly or maintaining the speed, it decelerates with a jolt, sort of if I was driving 80 in 3rd gear and took my foot off the gas (and I know the feeling cuz I’ve done it)

+1
Additionally, I just have to ask…
Is this car up-to-date with ALL of the mfr’s maintenance procedures?
How long has the Check Engine Light been lit-up?
:confused:

Check engine light isn’t on, maintenance light flashes 6 times when I start it but that’s the cars reminder to change the oil

How about this issue?

as far as I’m aware, yes. I took it in when it first happened and they told me it was the coils (2 which they replaced, I swapped the other 4)

Does the green D (drive) light on the instrument cluster ever flash?

Tester

Never seen it

On a side note, what exact things qualify under the maintenance procedures? I’ve read the manual and I’ve seen the list of when everything should be changed, from belts to fluids. I assume that this is what you were referencing?

Apologies about the questions, I’m rather new to this all

Does it only happen in the rain still?

the hesitant acceleration in the rain hasn’t stopped as far as I can tell; it rains every once in awhile, but everytime it does I can usually expect it to happen once or twice

So we can conclude it is a moisture related problem, or no?

I believe that the acceleration issue is a moisture problem; I just have no idea what’s going on with the jolting deceleration

How would I go about trying to fix a moisture problem

Distributor seal, cap or plug wire first guess, Missing any splash guards in the front wheel wells? You can try spraying water, say start at the plugs, then drive, wires, then drive distributor then drive and see if you can define the location of the problem.

thank you

Update? I guess

I decided to go for a drive and pay close attention to the rpms, while I was going 70 the rpms were barely 2.25, and when I braked they dipped below the normal braking point and then only after I had fully stopped went back to the normal .75 area, tho a little lower than normal…the entire time it felt like an incredible drag was put on the vehicle; any ideas?

There may be a problem with the Idle Air Control valve.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=943521&cc=1386211&jsn=358

This valve controls the engine idle speed whenever the accelerator is released.

Sometimes these valves malfunction and fail to go to the proper idle speed under certain conditions

And a faulty IAC valve won’t always turn the on the Check Engine light.

Tester.

1 Like

Is the check engine light on? How many miles are on it? I would start with having the computer checked for any codes, etc. My 1998 Accord same body style has a burned out check engine light because the EGR ports are clogged. That causes RPM surges. Just because the light is out doesnt mean there aren’t any codes stored.

Good comments above, esp about the idle rpm control gadget. But if it isn’t that, maybe what OP says above, that’s what’s actually happening. For some reason the transmission is downshifting too aggressively when you take your foot off the gas pedal. It’s an automatic tranny, right? Even my 40+ year old Ford truck there’s a linkage between the tranny and the gas pedal, so I’m sure there’s a similar thing on your Accord. Probably done via electronics rather than a physical linkage. Vehicle speed sensor and rpm sensor problems should be considered probably, but I think what I"d do in that case is have a proper trannys service performed; i.e. drop the pan, replace the tranny filter, clean out the pan and sieve for metal debris in the old fluid, put it back together and refill with fresh Honda tranny fluid. If that helps but doesn’t fix it all the way, repeat in a week’s driving-time.

There could be a problem with gadgets internal to the tranny too, like a sticking solenoid. Or a tranny fluid pump that isn’t doing its thing properly.

The only other thing I can think of, there’s an engine computer function which turns off the injectors when you take your foot off the gas, then turns them back on before the engine stalls out. Seems unlikely to be related, but worht considering. On my Corolla this function is very easy to demonstrate. When going about 35 mph in 3rd gear (mine is a manual tranny) take your foot completely off the gas and coast. The car’s speed will slow down gradually, then all of a sudden when you get to about 5-10 mph you’ll feel a slight jolt as the injectors kick back on to prevent the engine from stalling out. One time I had a problem with that function and to fix it required giving the injectors a good clean out.

sorry for the delay

cars got 290k on it

I decided to recheck the coils and plugs one final time, and when i removed the coil closest to the oil cap, there was a bit of brown goop on it and it smelled like gasoline; i figured best to take it in to a local shop immediately; now I’m waiting for a reply on the problem… if it’s something like a blown head gasket or something major, do you think it would be best to try to fix the car or to just buy a new one?

i do thank you guys for all the suggestions and help; if nothing else, you guys at least helped me keep my head straight by pumping me with ideas

That sound like the valve cover gasket is leaking oil into the spark plug wells.
That can interfere with the insulating boots and cause misfires; probably aggravated by moisture.