Railroad lights

I never looked at it. Don’t need to. I know what a train can do. I don’t mind if others look at it.

I think this platform is meant to seek help and offer help by sharing your knowledge and expertise, as well as for general discussion. I can’t see how telling someone to read their vehicle manual is sharing knowledge or offering help, unless the person asking for help specifically asks for instruction on how to locate a table content in the user manual.

As for the video in discussion, it provides valuable lessons and may be helpful to a lot of drivers.

On many online platforms ( and not just this one), it is a violation to tell someone to read their manual without contributing something valuable.

Maybe they didn’t think to look in the owner’s manual. If they need help finding something in it they can ask for it as you suggested. It also allows them to say that they don’t have the manual and then we can tell them where to get one.

I remember when I first posted on this site asking for help, a certain member would tell me to read the user manual, leaving me unsolved and inadequate.

Why? Because I didn’t want to read 500+ pages just to find what I was looking for. It would have taken me hours to read the whole thing, and I would still not find what I was looking for because my manual would suggest me to read the guide book next for more info.

Naveda responded with what I was looking for in just a matter of 5 minutes, and I thanked him because not only did he offer his help but also solved the issue.

On other online forums I see a common trend with telling someone to read the manual as an insult, and the moderators for those forums take such issue seriously.

To avoid upsetting the mods, it is better to offer the poster some help, then you may say the user manual should be considered ( as an option).

Also, I understand better when someone breaks down the info from the manual.

I’ve never encountered those encyclopedia-sized owner’s manuals that come w/new cars these day , but I wonder if you could get a copy of it in electronic pdf form? Download from the manufacturer’s website, etc If so it would be a lot easier to search the complete text for the key words you are looking for. .

Yes, Yes and Yes. For the last 20+ years most manufactures offer PDF versions online that can be downloaded. Searching for key words makes it a lot easier to look stuff up.

1 Like

I can download the manual from the manufacturer site but I am not able to search using key words of what I’m looking for. I don’t see that option.

Well that’s no good … lol … Does you electronic manual come in something different than the conventional pdf format?

open the PDF file and then use “Control + F” keys to open the search function

1 Like

I’m using an iPhone to access this site.

No. They both look identical.

And I presume you use your cell-phone to read the pdf owner’s manual. If so I understand your problem. Without a PC w/conventional keyboard, electronic-searching the pdf might not be practical. About the only thing I can suggest, if you see something that looks like a search icon, try hovering your finger over that.

1 Like

In defence, often the folks here will actually provide the applicable part in the manual or the entire manual. The pdf though should also include the index at the end.

It is easy to find the relevant page in the manual if the answer is already known, if the poster knew the answer, they would not be asking.

Even easier to reply, “read the manual”. For the other thread being referred to, is there a chapter on “engine stalling” or Power Module failure? The OP from that thread learned something: this is a terrible place to visit for a discussion.

1 Like

Back on the island, it is against the law for a disabled person to drive. This discrimination is very real back there. Like you, the people back there strongly believe disabled drivers are a danger to the road.

My first trip to the United States taught me that this discrimination was out the window. I was glad to learn this and got my license without having to take driving class.

When I mentioned this to the people at the DMV office, they were annoyed by my former country stance on the matter and told me there were no statistics indicating a disabled driver was at a higher risk on the road compared to a non-disabled driver.

Still, I occasionally run into people such as yourself saying I should not be driving on the road when I make a mistake, when I ask a question to refresh my memory, and when they see me walk with a walker towards my car.

Just recently I said to my traffic lawyer “ Sigh, I’m in trouble with the law again. I ran a stopped school bus sign.”

His response was hilarious. He said “ It’s ok. It happens. I also got a ticket recently for speeding.”

Such a nice guy. I thought he would have condemned me and urged me to throw my independence down the toilet.

What can I say really? I’m glad people like you aren’t in power

Need I say more . . . ?!

I stand by my earlier comment

btw . . . my comment has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your disability and EVERYTHING to do with your judgement and decision-making skills, when it comes to driving

5 Likes

Adrenaline.

The most simplest of motor skills become a challenge as you wear the ‘*boxing gloves of panic”

Every library has computers free to use and if you need to “look it up in the Manual…” then you should download the electronic manual at the library onto a CD, a DVD, a Thumb Drive (also called a cruiser, a flash drive, a memory stick, etc…) and then, when, on those few occasions that you need to look it up, you take your copy of the manual to the library to read and even print it…

The Library staff will happily help you do all of these things.

When you do not need to “look it up…” you can continue to use your iPhone…

Some members think and even believe (rightly so…) that someone would be better served if they actually took the time to look up the problem. Remember the old Proverb, “Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man to Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime…”

Then there is there case where a member gave detailed instructions to a member asking for help to change an alternator and that member comes back “SCREAMING,” did you forget to tell me to disconnect the battery??? Now my battery is Dead Shorted and my socket is welded to the fender…

See what I’m getting at, if the member asking for help has read the manual, he might have noticed the “Disconnect the Battery” Warning…

And now the helpful member is feeling guilty because he thought everyone knew to disconnect the battery before working on the electrical system…

Besides, the members seem more prone to help members asking for help if they know something about the problem to begin with… You do realize that there have been times when someone asks for help with, “My car won’t start, what do I need to do to get it running again…” and that is all the information they provide…

So, what I am saying, is “Help others to help you…”

2 Likes

Well this is one I have not seen before. Running around checking high water levels, I ran across a railroad crossing marked with yield signs. Not stop signs but yield. I suppose some might need to be reminded to yield to a train. It was just a siding to a couple plants so rarely there would be a train. Still yield?

These types of Railroad Crossings with no active warning signals such as gates or lights to alert drivers of an approaching train are called a “Passive Railroad Crossing.”

They typically rely on passive warning signs, pavement markings, and crossbucks (large white X-shaped signs) to indicate the presence of the railroad tracks. And in many states, if a vehicle and train collided, the vehicle driver was held responsible for failing to yield…

And this crossing signal got everybody’s attention between 1940 and 1970 in Mississippi…

2 Likes