Radio asks for code and clock resets with every start

Hello everyone - first time poster; thank you in advance for looking.

My 2006 Acura has been acting up after a collision repair. The first symptom was that my key fob stopped working, and I had to manually unlock the car. When I turned the ignition with the key, the radio was asking for the code and the clock was reset. Now, the more often symptom is that every time I start the car, it asks for the radio code and the clock is reset. The key fob works sometimes but not consistently.

I had the battery replaced a couple months ago and it was working fine for a couple months. Then, the collision happened and I had the repairs done at known trustworthy/honest shop. All of this began to occur after the repairs were completed. Repairs were rear-bumper replacement and surface repairs to rear quarter panel.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start?

Thanks again,
Kristopher

When the radio asks for a code and the clock resets, it means the battery was disconnected at some point.

Look for damage to any wiring that may have occurred in the collision.

Tester

4 Likes

Thank you Tester - I will investigate the wiring around the battery. I’ve heard in other threads that this may also be a fuse issue? Also, assuming I find the culprit and have it repaired/replaced, do you think this will also fix the key fob inconsistency?

Kristopher

The radio gets its power from 2 fuses. One supplies constant power, the other only when the car is switched on. I would make sure the fuse that provides the constant power is not blown. It is likely a low amperage fuse, probably a 7.5 Amp

1 Like

Not a fuse.

Once a fuse blows, it doesn’t work again.

Tester

2 Likes

Hi Tester,

I took a look and everything looks good except for the positive battery terminal being somewhat loose (pictured). It wasn’t falling off, but I could easily “turn” it with my hand. The negative (black) terminal was very tight. Should I just try and crank the bolt a bit more to tighten it? Is there any safety concern with doing this?

Thanks!
Kris

That connection must be tight.

Tighten the nut until the terminal clamp can’t be turned.

Tester

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll try that, after I find a wrench… Will let you know if this worked.

Do you not know anyone who might actually know how to tighten the bolt ? All you need is a adjustable wrench .

I have the tools but they are in storage - I live in an apartment complex and none of my neighbors have tools. Not a big deal - I can dig it out of my storage or go down the road and get one.

10mm

Tester

2 Likes

I looked at some wiring diagrams for your car. They are quite cryptic. A couple of things that I gleened: Three fuses that are always hot are #8 20A #3 10A and #7 10A. Make sure those are good.

Lots of stuff in the dash and console grounds at Ground #503 behind the glove box so make sure that ground has a good connection.

1 Like

If a bit of tightening the nut doesn’t help immobilize the clamp, loosen the nut and shove the clamp down further on the post, they’re typically wider at the bottom.

3 Likes

Yes,the battery terminals should sit at the bottom of the battery posts.I think his problem is a loose connection.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone - I’ve tightened the battery terminal nut and will update here if the car continues to experience the same issues. I’ve started it a few times and everything seems to be in order for now.

Kris

Update - after tightening the battery terminal, all is good. I’ve marked this as the solution in the thread. Thanks Tester and others for the suggestion.

Mods - you mark this as resolved/closed.

Kris

1 Like