Radiator Repair

My 1982 Ford Granada has a small radiator leak near the top and close to the AT fluid line. It’s not in the grill section. Can any one recommend a good, high temperature epoxy to seal it? Could I use a high-wattage soldering iron and plumbers solder? (The area is brass) I don’t like the idea of using an internal leak sealer because it may cause clogs or flow restrictions.

When a brass radiator tank starts to leak, the radiator requires replacement.

In the mean time, add a tablespoon of black pepper to the coolant to stop the leak until the radiator is replaced.

Tester

1 Like

Silver solder and a torch but have to drain it first. But yeah more on the way. They are fairly cheap now.

Used to be that radiator shops could easily fix it, but those are less common. If there’s not one nearby I’d replace it.

1 Like

Brazing I remember, not silver solder.

The best solution is simply to replace the radiator. the only other option I’d consider in that situation is to remove the radiator and take it to the local radiator repair shop and get an opinion from them.

I made a temporary repair in a radiator years ago using 24-hour epoxy. But it only lasted a couple of years, then I had to replace the radiator. I would have been better off to have replaced the radiator as the first step.