Question about where to position my shocks,

There are many factors leading to this question. Normally shocks mount to the shock mount points right? Well I’ve changed a few things and that has led to this question. First off I did a disc brake conversion, and had to move the shock around to the other side. Along with this I had to make the bolt eccentric to clear a few things. So the bolt is now adjustable up and down, and can fit be set in several places. I also lowered the car one inch.

So here’s where the question comes in: Should the shock be set in the middle so there is equidistant amount of upwards and downwards travel? Is there a formula for shock travel? Should it be set at like 60/40, or 70/30, or even 80/20?? With upwards having more travel and downwards less or vice versa???

Anybody have any insight into this dilemma??

Normally I would ask for year, make, and model, but I doubt it matters in this case. You say you moved the shock “to the other side.” Other side of what? A lot of this makes very little sense, being as how we can’t see what you did.

Got pics?

You don’t ever want to compress or extend the shocks past their natural ends. So the answer is realy only in your own investigation of your suspension. If the shocks sit mid travel is relevant to how the suspension is sitting when at rest, is it naturaly closer to the compreession end or it’s extention end ? Position the shock to get all of it’s available travel without hyper-extending/compressing it.

I’ve never done this type of mod, so it’s not experioence-based, but my suggestion is to

1. measure the distance from each hole to the mount with the vehicle at rest and the suspension loaded
  2. suspend the vehicle’s wheels (put the vehicle on jack stands), calculate the total travel between the fully extended length between the mount holes (axles hanging) and the fully compressed length (if it’s a coil spring you’ll need to measure the spaces and the coil wire diameter and do arithmatic, a leaf setup will be a simple linear measuerment), and…after making sure the shock has sufficient travel…
  3. figure the “at rest” to “wheels suspended” ratios, and
  4. use the resulting ratio to establish the proper shock mount holes.

Now that is exactly the kind of answer I needed, helpful and to the point without asking a bunch of questions about year, make, and model that are unnecessary and don’t pertain to the inherent problem! Thank you so much!

They must be positioned so the SHOCK does not become the suspension travel limiter, ESPECIALLY on the compression stroke…