Question about a 1997 Audi

I have a 1997 Audi A6 that is worth $1,500. Unfortunately it needs $1,600 worth of work (it has four oil leaks and the back brakes need to be replaced). I am considering getting rid of it and using public transportation instead. If I do fix it and pay the $1,600, any ideas on how long I should expect it to last? It has about 117,000 miles.

Thanks

If the body and interior are in ok shape I would recommend that you fix it. An A6 is a nice car and 117k is low mileage for a 1997. Why do you say it is worth only $1500? Where is the oil leaking? How much oil?

Back brakes are a normal maintenance issue.

Public transportation is for losers! (Just kidding, folks!)

Any chance you could replace the brake pads yourself or with the help of a friend? Even if you take it somewhere, this shouldn’t be very expensive. Stay away from the dealer though.

How much oil do you lose? Keep adding oil so you don’t run low and keep driving. Maybe tighten up the valve covers a little (if it’s leaking there) and add an additive that purports to stop oil leaks (may cause the seals/gaskets to leak a bit less.)

This vintage Audi will provide you with continued problems. I’d hate to see you put that kind of money it, with more problems yet to come. I agree with Goldwing, shop around for the brake job. Please describe the oil leaks (location, how much you’re leaking a month).

Here’s one way to find a mechanic: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/find.html

Thanks for your response everyone.

Following up.

The engine seals are leaking oil (front seals, camshaft seals, valve cover gaskets etc.). I’d say it’s leaking a quart or more a month.

Front brakes are @ 50% and rear brakes are @ 15%

Cost to fix all is 1600

thanks!

That’s kind of how I was feeling too…unless I could get a few years out of it problem free.
I’m not a car person - or rather not good with fixing stuff myself.

I took it to a mechanic who has a good reputation with my friends. Their description of the Audi problems was

engine seals are leaking oil (front seals, camshaft seals, valve cover gaskets etc.).
Front brakes are @ 50% and rear brakes are @ 15%

I suppose I could just fix the rear brakes and keep putting oil into it for a bit. But as you say it may be a matter of time before it needs something else fixed…

Thank you

The brakes are not a problem but a maintenance item. Do the rear brakes now and latter the fronts. 50% means further life left.

With regards to the oil leaks that is not atypical of a car that old. Putting a quart in per month amount $4/month. I don’t see the issue.

If you want a new car go for it.

No matter what you own even gloried Honda/Toyota it is a matter of time before something else needs to be fixed.

Replace the rear brake pads before they’re completely gone. Then you get metal on metal and you’ll pay more money for new brake rotors.

Do rear brakes ASAP!

Regarding the oil, I’d definitely try one of the oils for cars with high miles. They’re supposed to swell up seals slightly, and might reduce your oil leaks. Worth a try, and it’s cheap!