Put oil in radiator

How do I deal with 1 qt of oil put in the radiator by mistake ?

1. drain the cooling system and flush it well with hose water. The oil will “ride up” on the water and it’ll flush out fine. Then refill with proper coolant mix and burp the system.

2. get a Haynes repair manual at the parts store and study it carefully before attempting to do anything else to the car. This sort of mistake can only be borne of lack of knowledge of what’s under the hood. You’re fortunate there was no real damage done.

I give you credit for trying to maintain he vehicle. You just need a bit more basic knowledge.

It would be necessary to have the cooling system FLUSHED out. This is a normal maintenance activity for any car at mileages ranging from 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles, depending on what the owner’s manual says. Most experience posters here do it at 40,000 to 50,000 miles or every 4 years.

If you have not done that already, it would be time to do it now.

I would also urge you the thoroughly read your owner’s manual which has pictures of what’s under the hood and the normal owner’s maintenance activities required.

You don’t need to go to the dealer, a good shop(not a chain) can do a proper job, but I would explain why the oil is in there.

After flushing with clear water as advised fill the system with water and add a small bottle of dish washer liquid and drive the car a few miles to allow the detergent to do its thing. Then drain and flush again with clear water, drain, and fill with coolant/water. The dishwaser liquids will break down the oil without foaming. DO NOT USE THE LIQUID SOAP USED IN THE SINK. I think the name of the stuff I use is Cascade.

If you go the near parts store you may find a blue gallon bottle of coolant and another in the same color with oil made by Peak (check it out at http://www.peakantifreeze.com/aboutus.html). I had it in my car and without glasses I was not fast enough to stop the drop, lucky it was leftover from my oil change so there was not a full gallon in it.

Thank you.

If you go the near parts store you may find a blue gallon bottle of coolant and another in the same color with oil made by Peak (check it out at http://www…outus.html). I had it in my car and without glasses I was not fast enough to stop the drop, lucky it was leftover from my oil change so there was not a full gallon in it.

Good thing you didn’t put antifreeze in the oil.