Purolator filter problems

I was looking into buying a car with these filters (don’t remember which one) and during my research watched a youtube video on the oil change and the filter change was a royal mess. Not sure if it could had been done differently, but I felt with all the hype it doesn’t do much for the environment. At this point I have resorted to using manufacturer specific ATF and coolants. I guess this is going to be the case with cartridge oil filters too. I have bought all brands of regular oil filters so far and never had a problem with them.

Yeah our 58 Chevy 6 had the cartridge but I think the 61 was a spin on already. All I remember is the cartridge was a lot more of a mess to change.

All I remember is the cartridge was a lot more of a mess to change.

The cartridge filters designed by toyota have a drain valve built in. It’s actually very easy and less messy then a canister filter.

I’m not sure if the intent of the design was to make it more environmentally friendly…but it definitely is better for the environment.

Given that the difference in construction is a soup can’s worth of steel…and is replaced maybe 3x/year…I just don’t see where it makes any meaningful eco difference.

3x/year times MILLIONS of cars - makes for a significant amount of metal that’s mostly being just thrown into landfills.

I have the 09 Camry V6. The Puralators I bought had no end caps, but after only 1k miles it was colapsed. The one before collapsed in for 5k miles. I had my filters laying in a pan and compared them, oem, Napa & Puralator. They were the exact same height. The diameter of the Puralator was smaller. This means less filter material and less surface area. Less area means less area for the oil to flow through, thereby causing the filter to collapse. My car only had 25k miles on it. I now only use oem or Napa.

@meanjoe‌75fan and @MikeinNH. Based on spin-on vs cartridge oil filters and the environment, I think my 1947 Pontiac was better for the environment than today’s cars. It didn’t have an oil filter to dispose of. I think Tesla may have copied the 1947 Pontiac as I don’t think it has an oil filter either.

The environmental benefit of cartridge filters is the reduction in oil put in landfills, not steel, I think. Lots of spin-ons don’t get fully drained before heading to the dump.

My highlander has the cartridges. It aggravates me as it costs more than spin on filters and takes more time to change. It should cost less.

I bought my Toyota OEM filters 5 ea on Amazon for $26.

Back to the collapsed paper media question…how do you know what the paper inside your screw on filter looks like after 7500 miles? Has anyone ever cut open a used oil filter? Is it possible the paper in there is degraded as well?

I know I have never cut one open and I always used Puralator on my 99 Camry. I didn’t switch until I had problems with the cartridges.

Looking at the picture in the Amazon link, how are the ends of the pleats sealed?

@knfenimore‌

My local Toyota dealer is very competive on oil filters . . . less than $6 a pop

I buy my oil at Costco, only when it’s on sale, though. Both chevron conventional and mobil 1 synthetic

But I get the oil filters at the dealer

However, the oil filter is one of the few things they’re competitive on

Their air filters and trans filters are pretty expensive. Their drain plug gaskets are also very expensive.I use wix or napa gold, at least for my personal vehicles. And I use felpro nylon drain plug washers

If I’m ordering from rockauto, I order denso filters

Now you got me going. I’ll be cutting open my OEM Honda and AC filter next oil change just to see and will report back.

My filters go to the recycling center along with my used oil. I don’t know what they do with them but I know you aren’t supposed to throw them in the garbage anymore so they must recycle it somehow.

My fliters go on the ferrous pile at the scrapyard.

I think Tesla may have copied the 1947 Pontiac as I don't think it has an oil filter either.

@triedag
What oil filter does Tesla have??? It’s all electric.

My highlander has the cartridges. It aggravates me as it costs more than spin on filters and takes more time to change. It should cost less.

Agreed. But that’s the way of business.

"@triedag
What oil filter does Tesla have??? It’s all electric"

Precisely!

My filters go to the recycling center along with my used oil. I don't know what they do with them but I know you aren't supposed to throw them in the garbage anymore so they must recycle it somehow.

Unfortunately they still are. My town has a place for my used filters also. But every time I’m there dumping my oil in their tank…other people also dumping their oil I seem to be the only one who has filters to put in the barrel of used filters.