Purolator filter problems

The last time I looked YouTube had thousands of videos of people cutting oil filters open and discovering all types of things.

Anyone with a picnic table in the yard and a hacksaw is a filter analyst it seems… :wink:

My daughter has a 2010 Corolla, the last time my son-in-law changed her oil he found a crushed and twisted cartridge. It was a purolator and we were both a little puzzled about why it happened and didn’t think too much about it. I don’t browse other boards and just recently heard about this problem here.
It didn’t seem to hurt the engine any but I am curious about why it happened and did anyone have it happen on other brand filters?

I confess to never having had a cartridge type oil filter, but the only way I could see that happening to the filter element is improper installation… or the wrong cartridge being installed.

Whoever was doing her oil changes before her SIL should probably be avoided in the future. Do you know if it was a Jiffy Lube?

I second the same mountainbike.

I have a little concern with the Fram and Purolator cartridge filters. For some reason they both have end caps. The Toyota OEM filter or Wix filter doesn’t have any end-cap. I wonder if that could be the cause of the collapse filter. When I first bought a Fram filter for my wifes Lexus they didn’t come with end caps. But the last one I bought did. I didn’t use it. I still had a Wix filter so I used that one. I’m not happy that the Fram and Purolator filters have end caps but Toyota felter doesn’t.

I don’t think the lack of an end cap is necessarily a problem

I’ve used both Toyota OEM and Wix cartridge filters on my brother’s Toyota

And I’ve not run into a collapsed one yet, neither Toyota, nor Wix

For that matter, I’ve not yet run into any collapsed cartridges at all

Benz has been using cartridges for years. Occasionally somebody would bring in a car that had been serviced “on the outside” using aftermarket parts. Never saw any collapsed cartridges there, either. I seem to recall that the earlier Benz cartridge filters also didn’t have end caps. But like I said, I didn’t see a problem

I periodically see those collapsed cartridges. Usually on a car that’s been 10,000 miles or more on an oil change and by that time the thing is so sludged up I can’t see a brand or part number on it anymore.

Aha . . . now we’re on to something

When Benz went to super extended oil change intervals . . . 10K or more . . . most of the cartridges got upgraded. The upgrade was that they had a fleece webbing

Perhaps so that they wouldn’t collapse . . . ?

I’ve noticed that many of the aftermarket filters don’t have the fleece webbing, though

How would extended oil changes account for a twisted filter though?

It would seem to me that twisting would point to a fitment issue or installation problem; maybe a dry end cap binding on one or both ends as the housing is tightened or the filter fit on the housing was extremely tight. ???

I've used both Toyota OEM and Wix cartridge filters on my brother's Toyota

And I’ve not run into a collapsed one yet, neither Toyota, nor Wix

re-read my post. I’m saying the exact opposite. I think the end-caps (which Puralator and Fram have) is what may be causing the collapse. Less chance of a collapse on filters that don’t have the end-caps (Toyota and Wix).

@MikeInNH‌

Thanks for clarifying

that said, I seem to remember there were some people actually concerned about the lack of end caps. And a sizable percentage of us essentially said we don’t lose sleep over it

@db4690‌

You’re probably right. The OP was having a problem with a Purolator filter which has end-caps. I haven’t seen a filter collapse on any non-cap filter I’ve used. Is it a difference because it’s a cartridge type filter? I have no idea. Just something to consider and possibly keep track of. Too little data make any conclusions just yet.

Yup

One guy complaining on the internet is just that

And how do we know that the same guy isn’t complaining on multiple websites . . . ?

Well, mainly because I wasn’t complaining, simply raising a question based on what I saw on BITOG from various posters. Personally I never had a problem with a Purolator filter, but others seem to have had different experiences. Just asking.

The Purolator filter was installed by my SIL 5000 miles earlier. He has been working on cars and motorcycles for more than 50 years and has done frame up restos on several BMW and Triumph bikes. He used a torque wrench to 18 ft lb which is Toyota spec. but the filter housing bottomed before he got to 18 ft lb. My 3023 Camry also bottomed before 18 ft lb. but I used a K&N filter and won’t change it for a while yet, so we shall see.

My SIL doesn’t use a computer so he isn’t the one complaining online. I am not saying Purolator is an inferior product, the question has just piqued my curiosity.

I would appear from this thread that cartridge type filters have introduced another variable, an opportunity for failure that didn’t exist with canisters. It would seem that a step backwards has been taken. Just want the average car owner needed… another opportunity for problems. And just what the JL oil change kids needed.

Thoughts anyone?

Canister filters are more aggravation for little benefit is the way I look at it.

In spite of claims about the environment and so on I would imagine the real reason for canister filters is the same reason that drives everything else on a car; money.
The cost of producing a million canister filters is likely far less than the cost of producing a million screw on filters. Shipping costs often factor in based on weight so savings will be had there also.

IMHO you’re more than likely right. It would not be the first time that claims about environmental friendliness have been used to mask changes made to cut manufacturing costs.

I might add that some manufacturers were using cartridge filters first, then switched to canister (spin-on), then switched back to cartridge filters

So cartridge filters are not anything recent

Not even remotely recent

What’s “interesting” is that cartridge filters undoubtedly cost far less to produce, yet us customers don’t get to pay a lower price