PS fluid leak

Our 2000 Dodge Grnd Caravan has a fairly significant PS fluid leak that I cannot find. Been underneath and everything is dry as a bone. No loose clamps, no broken lines, rusted pump replaced two years ago so still no leaky pump housing. Still nothing indicating leakage but hte tank goes dry every few days. Where else does PS fluid travel that I can’t see. Does it go through the radiator for any reason? Any suggestions?

You could have a small leak in one of the hoses or connections, and as you get up to highway speed the pressure may force out a little at the time. This will quickly drain the small reservoir. We get many posts on such leaks; also friom transmisions and radiators.

You have to get underneath the car(block it up safery)to inspect all the hoses, steering rack, and all connections; if any are wet you have a small leak.

For what it’s worth, the most effective additive I have ever used to delay a repair was Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak (my leak was not as bad as yours). My 93 camry would need a top up once every couple of weeks. After using the Lucas about two years ago, it now needs a top up every three or four months. Hope this helps.

tinrav,

Check inside the accordian rubber “boots” where the tie-rods exit the steering rack.
A leaking rack seal can deposit its fluid inside the boots.

Follow up…

Did you get a chance to try anything?
Let us know what you find or don’t find, please.

Thank You for your support

For what it’s worth, the most effective additive I have ever used to delay a repair was Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak…

Is Lucas P/S fluid good for steering that is hard to turn?