Prius ? yes/no

My '99 GMC Yukon gets 13 mpg, with 133,000k on it. Love the vehicle but the $65 + each week is too much. I’m really considering buying a Prius. I’ve heard all the +'s of why to buy one but what are the negatives? anyone? I ? when the battery does die what will the cost be to dispose of? and are we just going to create a bigger enviromental problem once dumping them. kinda like the new CF lightbulbs that are so economical but if they break beware due to the mercury!!! appreciate some feedback before I makethe purchase. alehar

Kind of depends on the type of driving you do. If it’s a lot of stop-and-go in an urban environment (for example driving around Chicago) then it might be a good choice. If you are mainly driving on the highway, there are other vehicles that get better highway mileage (the Prius and other hybrids get their best mileage in stop-and-go traffic situations).

For anything other than routine maintenance, you must take it to a dealer. That might not be convenient and it’s sure to be costly…

There are other choices besides any hybrid. Consider Honda Civic or Fit and Toyota Corolla or Yaris, all with conventional drive trains. Their gas mileage is already so good that there is not much left to save. Another possibility is a small diesel like those from Volkswagen.

I pretty much buzz around the city, yet will do some interstate driving and given the great gas mileage no doubt will encourage more destinations. It will definately be a big change from my roomy and versatile SUV.

Yes, this is a concern. I’ve heard that repairs have to be dealership serviced or possible void of warranty. But there is the 36 month warranty to consider.

Yes, this is a concern. I’ve heard that repairs have to be dealership serviced or possible void of warranty. But there is the 36 month warranty to consider.

I have a Toyota Camry hybrid. Love the car, bought the extended warranty because the entire car is a compoter.
Toyota will buy the battery pack back from you if and when it goes bad. Ive heard of a Canadian Prius taxi fleet with up to 300,000 miles and still performing well.
They are developing a Lithium battery pack that should bring mileage up to 100 mpg under certain conditions.
Toyota will be 100 percent hybrid by 2020.

Repairs can be done anywhere without voiding your warrantee, although specialized hybrid repairs should be done at the dealer. Cabs in DC and NY are approaching 300,000 miles on the original battery. No batteries on current models have worn out as of this date. reliablility has been outstanding. I speak from owner experience. Info at

Well, you do the math. It sounds like you are paying about $3400 per year for fuel, how much are you planning on spending for the new car?

here’s an update on the Vancouver prius taxi:

http://www.autospies.com/news/Prius-taxi-paid-for-itself-in-no-time-17638/

mileage is 400,000 kilometers. operating and maintenance expenses have been minimal.