Prius Maintenance

What items are required to maintain Toyota’s used car warranty? A schedule provided by my dealer seems excessive compared to what I find on the Toyota website.

At 50,000 miles do I need to replace transmission fluid, engine coolant, spark plugs, and flush the fuel system?

You should do what the factory (not the dealer) owner’s manual states. Did you get a separate ‘used car warranty’ from the dealer? Otherwise, it should retain whatever remaining ‘new car warranty’ the car has.

Where is your owners manual? It has the maintenance schedule listed for you. Compare it to the schedule your dealer gave you. The owners manual always trumps the dealer because the dealer is in it for the money.

Used car warranty?

With only 50k miles on the odometer, this Prius should still be under the original NEW car warranty, unless it is too old in terms of elapsed time for coverage under the terms of the new car warranty, or if it was not maintained adequately for continuance of that original warranty. Unfortunately, you failed to tell us the model year of this Prius, so we don’t really know every detail that we need to know.

Assuming that it is still covered by the original warranty, all you need to do is to refer to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule that is contained in the Owner’s Manual.

However, I have one additional recommendation. Even if the mfr’s maintenance schedule doesn’t list a trans fluid change at 50k miles, you should do it. Car manufacturers have begun to “delist” some maintenance procedures, in an effort to make their vehicles look “maintenance free”. That omission from their maintenance schedule does not make trans fluid replacement any less vital.

As that athletic shoe company says, “Just do it”.

Even if the mfr’s maintenance schedule doesn’t list a trans fluid change at 50k miles, you should do it.

That is worth repeating.

The Prius has a 3 year/36k mile factory warranty.
If the OP has an aftermarket dealer warranty then dealer does trump factory for these requirements. Some aftermarket warranties do have some restrictions and maintenance requirements to keep the warranty valid.

But I’m having to read a lot into this because of the OP’s lack of pertinent information of model year and miles, so it’s all speculation…

Replacing transmission fluid earlier than schedule is a great idea if you plan on keeping a vehicle in the 150k+ range.

Otherwise ignore the suggestions and go with manual.

Benzman provided just a fraction of the details regarding warranty coverage on a Prius.
The OP failed to give us model year info, so it is impossible to know the exact terms of the multiple warranties on his/her car, but for a 2010 Prius, the warranties are as follows:

[b]"[i]Basic Warranty: 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Covers repairs and adjustments to correct defects in materials or workmanship of parts supplied by Toyota. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Hybrid System Warranty: 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty includes the Battery Control Module, Hybrid Battery, Hybrid Control Module, and the Inverter (with converter).

Powertrain Warranty: 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This includes the Engine (cylinder block, head, internal parts, timing gears & gaskets, the timing chain/belt, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets). It also covers the Transaxle, Motor, and Generator (case, all internal parts, transaxle mounts, seals and gaskets). It covers the Front-Wheel Drive System (drive house and internal parts, axle shafts, drive shafts, CVJ, front hub and bearings, seals and gaskets).

Restraint System Warranty: 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This covers the vehicle for any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship on seatbelts and/or air bag systems.

Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 60 months regardless of mileage. This is for repair or replacement of any body panel that develops perforation from corrosion.

Towing: No time line or mileage limitation noted. If your Prius is inoperable due to failure of a warranteed part, Toyota Motors will pay for towing service to the nearest authorized Toyota dealership.

Tires: Tires are warranteed by the tire manufacturer, not Toyota.[/i]"[/b]

The parts of the car that actually need to be maintained are essentially those in the Powertrain. As a result, the Powertrain Warranty is what is the crux of the issue here.

As far as I recall, the Powertrain Warranty coverage of all Toyotas has been 5 yrs/60k miles for quite some time. Thus, I believe that the coverages listed above are probably the same as on the OP’s mystery Prius.

Of course, the OP could always take the radical step of opening up his/her glove compartment in order to read the terms of the multiple warranties, as well as the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer.

You guys do realize that the Prius “transmission” is much more like a differential than an automatic transmission?

That’s what I was thinking, but I went over to priuschat.org and there are several threads on changing the transaxle fluid, with factory recommended intervals of 60k miles. So 50k miles for the first change would be fine.