Pre-purchase inspection & assessing transmission

wise choice. :slight_smile:

@eddo

LOL.

My first Caravan solved a problem when my small '86 Nissan truck lost 5th gear in Yellowstone NP – enroute to northern Minnesota from California. I bought the Caravan off a car lot near the park, found a safe place In town to stash the truck, and adjusted my plan, ambling home in the Dodge. Along the way, a transmission seal failed. I limped into a small town for the repair.

Back home, my trusted mechanic judged that my Nissan would be fine running in fourth gear for the 850 miles. So I hitched back for the truck and drove it home, averaging 24mpg in fourth gear. I pulled the transmission and had it repaired. It ran fine for almost 8 more years. With the Nissan back on the road, I sold the Caravan asap.

Unfortunately, I had cheaped out on replacing the nylon gear for the odometer (damaged when 5th gear failed). It stopped at 309030 – always liked that number. I estimate that the Nissan reached 400,000 miles.

The second Caravan - a Grand - served well until it reached senility just shy of 300k.

The last Grand Caravan survived a couple years before it showed signs of a failing head gasket. My mechanic suggested a Sienna, which I’d never considered. Two weeks later, I bought my first Toyota and promptly junked the GC. That was 8 years ago. The 1999 Sienna is running well with 330k on the clock, but scheduled for semi-retirement now, mostly staying close to home.

1 Like

= 2 X 3 X 5 X 10301

10301 is the zip code for parts of Staten Island.