Are there any negatives for buying a car driven only 4000 miles per year?

There’s a 2004 Toyota Sienna available for sale locally with only 80,000 miles on it. The price is lower than almost all the other Siennas I’ve seen advertised over a wide area of central California, SF Bay Area and beyond, even cars with well over 200k. So based on price alone, it’s a strong contender. But does the low mileage / light usage make it a bargain…or a risk?

The car is owned by an older retired couple who no longer need two cars. They’ve had it serviced regularly by a popular and well established independent shop, but I don’t know much about the quality of the work done there. Service history might be available from this shop.

I’m interested specifically because of the low mileage, but maybe that’s not a good thing. That’s the question.

Aside from the fact that the timing belt is way way beyond the recommended time interval for replacement, are there negative consequences for a car with such light use?

For example, I’ve heard some comments about sludge buildup in an engine resulting from infrequent oil changes because the mileage was so light. Also I’ve heard that a pattern of mostly short local trips can cause premature deterioration of mufflers because the exhaust system doesn’t get hot enough to evaporate the water from combustion. That makes sense to me, but I don’t have hard facts to support. Is there any truth to either of these, and what else – if anything – might suggest that such light use is not a good thing?

I’d guess that the owners rarely drove this van at sustained freeway speeds, used it mainly for typical local, low speed and short distance errands. Are there consequences from that pattern which suggest avoiding this car?

What else should I know about this?

With a 20 year old anything vehicle, there are going to be risks.

I’d have it inspected by my mechanic, and also get copies of all the maintenance records, if possible.

I’m a fan of buying lower mileage Honda Odysseys, when we’re in the market for buying one, so I get the “unicorn” factor of finding one in good shape with low mileage. But go into this decision knowing as much as you can.

Personally… I wouldn’t want to buy one that’s 20 years old. Just the passage of time is going to wear down all sorts of items you may not think of. And I don’t want to buy any car that may still have a tape deck in the dash. But your results may vary.

If the underside of the oil filler cap is not gunked up, the dipstick smells and looks like oil, I wouldn’t be concerned about buying it.

The price should reflect the $2000 cost of a timing belt.

I’d have your mechanic check it out before you buy it. If it is OK, pay the seller and leave it in the shop for a timing belt change.

2 Likes

It reads like this Sienna is for sale by owner. If they can show a receipt for timing belt replacement in the less than the last 6 years, you might wait until a 7 year interval is up or you hit the 90,000 mile replacement interval.

Buying a low mileage minivan like this wouldn’t bother me. About 25 years ago my elderly next door neighbor sold his low mileage 1992 Accord. It was in excellent condition and I might have bought it but didn’t want another car for about 2 years. Cars owned by seniors can be a great choice because they are often very well maintained.

4 Likes

Thanks all for the helpful comments.

As stated in my first post, the belt has NEVER been replaced, so it’s clearly way overdue based on time. So there’s an interesting data point: at least one Toyota timing belt has survived TWO DECADES! And yes, as stated, it’s FSBO.

Useful tip, I’ll do it.

Yes, I will have my shop inspect it before I decide, and see what service records are available.

If I do buy it, I would absolutely replace the timing belt immediately.

As a side note, last spring I actually had the timing belt job done on my current Sienna with 330 + miles, because I was headed off on summer road trips. Just didn’t want to risk a break while out in the boonies. Also, I plan to keep that Sienna to use as my around town “truck.” I often fill it up with yard tools and machines for work on my rental property, or haul my small utility trailer with firewood, mowers, etc. It gets dirty inside, then has to be emptied and cleaned for a road trip. That’s a pain.

I’m also watching a first gen Sienna which has just had the timing belt job done, recently replaced both catalytic converters, front suspension mostly replaced (I wonder why), additional LED backup lights and camera. Price is attractive, but it’s a half day drive away. I’m pondering the distance factor, since it’s complicated to get a pro inspection far from home. If I get serious I’ll ask about actual service records for the work done since the Craigslist ad gives a hint that seller might have done the work himself. Price is good for what he posted.

i appreciate your replies, thanks!

Were I presented w/this car, I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the 80 k. I’d prefer a used car that’s mostly driven at 60 mph, but like the Stones say, “you don’t always get what you want”. I’d at least ask my shop as part of the pre-purchase inspection to remove the valve covers and take a look-see there, to rule out any severe oil-sludge problem. Good opportunity to install new valve cover gaskets, worthwhile in any event. I’d also understand that any 20 year old car is likely to present a wide assortment of issues over the next 5 years.

And how much extra are you willing to spend for that on a pre-purchase inspection, knowing you may not purchase the car?
Capture

2 Likes

It would be worth $300 if they also replaced the gaskets with new ones. Were I purchasing the car myself, and my own brief inspection (mostly focusing on the fluid levels/appearance/odors) and the test drive didn’t turn up anything unexpected, I might not even hire a pro inspection if the price was right. I’m willing to take a gamble. But I’m not willing to impose this gamble on the OP who asked the question.

Clearly you don’t know how much labor time is involved in replacing gaskets on a car like this. For my 1999 Sienna, it’s over $600 because it makes no sense to replace the gaskets to fix oil leaks and NOT install new plugs.

That’s true. I’ve never owned that particular make/model/year. I’m just offering my opiinion is all. Its’ a gamble. But if it cost $600, it would still be worth it if it avoided purchasing an unusable car.

FWIW I’m seeing 2-4 hours labor and $60 parts to replace both bank’s valve cover gaskets.

The sludge assessment could be done I expect by just doing one side. The left bank takes about 90 minutes. Just peering into the oil fill hole with a flashlight might be good enough, don’t know.

I don’t know if I’d consider 80k low mileage. I’ve bought used cars with 30, 60, and over 100k on them but the mileage was not the greatest concern. Sludging would be a concern though if it can be easily evaluated with a boroscope or something. I’ve usually always just replaced items like brakes, hoses, belts etc. as a matter of course.

Or as Mustangman wrote:

30 seconds, one piece of shop towel, no tools.
Same information.

1 Like

That would be enough to remove/reseal the front valve cover (3.6 hours for both).

After the seller learns that you paid $200 for an inspection and $300 for the valve cover reseal, is there any reason to negotiate on the asking price? Seems like the buyer is committed to the sale or has a loss of $500.

2 Likes

As long as you are sure that method provides the same information. You’re the one taking the risk, so you are in the best position to make the judgement call. Like I say above, I’d not be overly concerned about the 80K miles, and would make the call based on just a test drive and a visual inspection of the fluids.

Everything is a gamble. Nothing is certain. OP asked for opinions, and I’m offering mine is all. OP is correct to ask for opinions, but also correct to decide for themselves whether the opinions offered have merit.

Frankly “older retired couple who no longer needs two cars, They’ve had it serviced regularly” hit’s my sweet spot for geat deal.

It’s a reasonable bet to assume that they haven’t abused the car by street racing/mud track running and that they had the financial resources to propertly maintain it.
On the other hand the down side, however unlikely, is that an average 4,000 miles a year although unlikely may mean 48,000 the first year, 36,000 the next and sitting for the next 18 years.

Back to reality, I would assume that depending on how it was stored, any 20 year old rubber/plastic will be in need of replacement in the near future, which that applies to the exhaust system as well and remembering that “rust never sleeps” have it checked out.

Otherwise, depending on the price and your willingness to sacrifice any “modern enhancements” I’d say you’ve got a winner and that nifty CD player will be a bonus. :wink: .

3 Likes

Hopefully OP will let us know the results.

Thanks @Beancounter for the helpful reply. I appreciate your good contribution, and the bit of levity was welcomed!

I’ve only talked on the phone with the owner, I’ve not yet seen this car. I’m still wrestling with choosing between this car and one other Sienna located 4 hours away.

The seller wants to get some detailing done before showing the car, and I’m in no hurry. Mostly I’m wrestling with the cost difference: the distant car has a new timing belt, new cats, new front suspension, but is a 2002 Sienna (first gen) with 200k on the clock, and it’s far away. The local car will cost at least $2000 more (mostly due to timing belt replacement), which will be a strain for me. But only 80k, and driven by calm, sensible people…that makes a difference.

Seller says they moved here shortly after buying the car new in southern California, and “didn’t go anywhere” which is why the mileage is so low. No mention of street racing, side shows, or demo-derby, but I’ll be sure to interrogate them on the subject. Their other car is a Toyota Avalon, so they have good taste!

I’d guess that it has been garaged, but in my possession it will have to live outside in the weather.

I’ve already checked with my trusted local repair shop about a pre-purchase inspection. They are usually scheduled a week or two out, but since I’m in no hurry, that may be a non-issue. I’ve also found a shop near the distant car about doing the inspection on short notice, and they can accommodate that.

I’ll sleep on this and move forward when I’ve made up my mind. I’ve also got some other weighty decisions looming, it’s a bit more than I’d like all at once, so I’m going slowly.

1 Like

It’s probably been maintained more on a time basis than strict mileage. My dad’s averaged 4,000mi a year on his Honda’s since 2006 and does at least an annual oil change and inspection at the dealership. Provided everything looks good and a mechanic doesn’t find anything you wouldn’t expect on a vehicle this age it’s worth a look.

Yep, thinking I’ll rattle the cage with the seller this weekend.

Even if the detailing hasn’t been done, I need to judge if this gen 2 rig is compatible with my roadtripping needs. Evidently, the floor is not entirely flat (with rear seats removed), but a custom made bed platform, similar to the one in my current (gen 1) Sienna, should be able eliminate any problem from that. But I really need to look hard at it before I try to decide anything.

Thank you for the comment.

1 Like