Power Steering Fluid in Honda - replace - Preventive? - Bleeding?

1999 Integra with 80k miles.

PepBoys said oil is blackish.
I am getting mixed opinion about replacing. Honda’s don’t have a valve to let it out.

There are other enthusiasts who changed and reports that their steering became easier.

Dealership asks $170 and use Honda fluid.

Take an old $2 turkey baster. Suck out as much fluid as you can. Add new Honda compatible PS fluid. Run the car, using the power steerin. Do this again. Repeat. You won’t change out all the fluid but you’ll freshen it up a little and this is good enough.

I drain and refill the PS reservoir at each oil change.
It’s an easy DIY job.
I found it easier to siphon it out with a small flexible hose.

I use a cheap siphon pump to change my power steering fluid, and I use this fluid in my Honda http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=honda+power+steering+fluid&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

I took the car to m/c for timing belt, water pump, valve adj, valve/oil pan gasket.

When I was picking up the car, the m/c (not the owner of the shop) told me that PS fluid looked dark and he replaced it. He doesn’t speak English well so i could not get all the details.

I called the owner now and he told me Transmission is what needs Honda fluid. He said they use “Prime”, an American brand, for power steering. I was not charged for this -it is not in the invoice either.

My question is can I leave the fluid in there? Or go for Honda fluid?

Honda’s do require a special fluid, although it is available aftermarket. Not sure who makes the compatible fluid, but it available at Walmart and auto parts stores.

I have never had a problem with steering fluid, and I have never changed any. Go ahead if you like, but I don’t think it is nessessary. While you’re at it, you should change the air in your tires.

All the fluids in an automoble require replacement at some time or another. These fluids break down from oxidation due to the heating up and cooling down of the fluids. The fluids then lose their additive packages which can result in accelerated wear of the components in the system and/or seal failure.

I even change the hydraulic fluid in my lift every two years to prevent damage to the pump and hydraulic cylinders. It’s cheaper to replace the fluid rather than the components.

Tester

Keep up the good work!!