Porsche 911 S

I sorta freaked out on the 407 when there was blue smoke coming out of my 911 along with the check engine light. There were also issues of coolant leaking. One visit to Van at right tech and a few days later, I was ready to be back on the road. Apparently, these are common issues with the earlier models of 911 so it was good to know. After their repairs, my oil consumption was a lot less per trip, and mo more check engine lights or smoke.

Good to know? Seems like disappointing news. I would rather have a sports car that does not have inherit problems.

A co-worker has an early base 996 that he bought several years ago and as long as you have someone who knows how to fix the common issues the car can be a fun driver, just keep in mind it’s a Porsche so it’s not going to be cheap.

I’ve talked with the owners of 356 that appears often at the store and they hand it over to a shop downtown that knows these cars well over the winter and 9-10mo out of the year they’re driving the car every day.

Susan, are you just here to promote your favorite Porsche mechanic or shop named Van? If so, you are totally missing the mark since no one who reads your post knows where “Van” is.

1 Like

@cdaquila Carolyn , I think Susan is trying to post on the Repair Shops part of car talk again .

With your 2002 Cayenne having lots of engine issues, and your 911 S blowing blue smoke and leaking coolant.

It’s a good thing you know Van.

2 Likes

Just curious, what model year is your “early” 911? I was bicycling through a high-price neighborhood today, and notice a jet black 911 parked on the side of the road, looking pretty good I might say. Pretty, pretty good. Nice looking cars, those 911’s, for certain.

This one looked quite new, but had the tag 911 on the back. I was surprise to see that b/c I thought newer Porsches had higher model numbers these days.

Mr . Google led me to the Porsche site and a 2022 911 starts at 102000.00

And me thinks Susan has left the building .

Nope. There was a 924, which became the 944, then the 968, and the 928. They’re long gone. The 911 has always been around.

They’re now calling the Boxster and Cayman the 718.

There are various generations of the 911…

The 996, the 993 ect… but all still are called “911”

The very first 911s were actually labled 901s but Peugeot made Porsche change the name because they had the rights to the number ought number naming.

2 Likes

Just 911 on the back is an option, The most recent 911 Carerra models are the 992 generation but you’re mostly going to hear that term on Rennlist or other porsche forums. Just like BMW fan’s refer to a particular M3 as being an E30 which is the chassis code BMW used for that generation.