Police would like a light bar atop the Camry instead of thexisting dash lights

How can it be attached without damaging the vehicle?

A black plastic “ribbon” runs from front to back on each side of the roof.
Can a bolt be run through the ribbon into the something secure?
(The ribbons patched or replaced when the Camry is retired?)

A detachable ski rack? (Would save fuel to remove it when returning from distant hospitals!)

Any ideas?

Thank you.

You need electrical connections as well so holes in the roof will be unavoidable. Might as well do it right. With the miles you re putting on the vehicle, it doesn’t sound like retirement to a second life for the car is in the works.

^ Thank you. The 2008 Camry hybrid was retired at 297K. I did not think it would be worth as much as it was.

The Expedition’s light bar is bolted to its roof rack. (It is removed after long distance transports.)
Where its round cable reaches the left door, I rewrapped the conductors into a flat crossection so they fit through the left door’s gasket.
Hopefully the same can be done with the Camry.

I’m sure it can as long as the police OK it.

No the light bar cannot be attached to the plastic moldings on the roof.

That is nothing more than a plastic molding that either clips or uses adhesive to cover the seam between the roof and roof rail.

There is no structural integrity to the molding.

Take a look at this link, the light has magnetic mounts to easily sit on the roof. I have something similar made by Federal Signal, the magnetic mount is nice because I remove it when I go out of state. My fire dept issues a ‘Pennsylvania Blue Light Card’ , while I doubt I would get challenged in another state, since I would not be using it anyway, easier to remove it.

The second link is probably why the police want it mounted externally, CO is probably similar to PA.

http://www.emergencylightsunlimited.com/catalog/product/view/id/371/s/warrior-18-led-lightbar-by-lumax/category/26/

I’ve got the magnetic mount led light on mine, never had a problem up to 70 mph or in a car wash, (I imagine you can fill us in how it works @ 100 mph :wink: ) Not an option?

"No the light bar cannot be attached to the plastic moldings on the roof."
Meaning through the plastic molding into something secure (frame). Then the plastic moldings can be patched or replaced to sell the Camry.
"(I imagine you can fill us in how it works @ 100 mph ) Not an option?"
In the vast expanses of vacant highways and interstates the Camry is smooth and stable at 113mph - governor limit. But sudden winds may blow the light and scratch the roof or blow it off unless I attach it with a come-along'strap.

Police say it is OK as is but would be.tter seen on the roof.

Is there something wrong with Pennsylvania these days? I’m trying to figure out what would be so dangerous about a member of the public mistaking a volunteer fire fighter on their way to a fire as a police officer? What difference does it make? If it has a light on, yield whether its an unmarked police car or fire fighter. Really I think its a status thing. The other thing is how can they talk with that chin strap around their chin? Are they trying to impersonate Long Islanders? (speaking without moving their jaw)

NY is very different. Police are red…Volunteer Fire is Blue. Blue is Police in most every other state. Many people from out of state get very confused when they get pulled over with a Red Light only police car. Some police (state and cites) now have Red and Blue.

@Bing , there have been cases where guys have put red/blue lights inside their car and pulled unsuspecting ladies over at night and took advantage of them. If a cop catches you with lights inside your car they now have reason to question you to see if you are one of those bad actors. It is not fool proof but it does make it harder for the jerks to try this.

My wife used to be the town cleark and treasurer here for many years and the town gets publications regularly from Whelen; one of the largest providers of emergency and police equipment.
I’ve perused those publications at times and seem to remember Whelen offering different types of light bars with magnetic attachment points and a plug to fit cigarette lighters.
Maybe that’s an option.

Thank you.
Magnetic mounts are not rated for speeds even below some speed limits.
One can be at the posted speed limit, 75, and be hit with 40 mph wind blast = 115 mph relative wind speed.

Seems that crisscrossed come-along straps may be the only solution.
Would they damage the vehicle’s finish?

If the Camry had roof racks, this would not be a problem.
But wind resistance of roof racks lowers fuel economy.

Contact a company like this, http://www.frontrangefire.com/, found on google in a few seconds. For the right $$ they will install a legal robust light bar.

NY is very different. Police are red…Volunteer Fire is Blue. Blue is Police in most every other state. Many people from out of state get very confused when they get pulled over with a Red Light only police car. Some police (state and cites) now have Red and Blue.

OK, lets add to the confusion. In MO tow trucks now have red and blue light bars and sirens that sound light police cars. They used to be yellow but drivers in traffic would not let them by. They are considered emergency vehicles and should be treated as such.

I thought blue for police was pretty much the southern states. I have to think but Minnesota is red for police and fire and emergency. But light bars seem to be white and amber for police etc. Plows and tow trucks are amber. Seems to me the plows used to be blue but doesn’t show up as well in a snow storm.

Robert Gift: I’m reasonably sure wind resistance of light bars far exceeds that of roof racks which have at least an attempt at aerodynamics. If the police are OK with the dash mounted lights and only advising a light bar, I would not change.

Agreed. What exists has worked just fine for manyears.

LED light$ which mount inside at the tops of the windows would be nice.
Then no headaches about vehicle damage, aerodynamic sleekness, wiring and removing a light bar when returning from distant hospitals.

If the police are the ones requesting you change to an external light bar, why not have their vehicle maintenance shop talk with you about viable options and where/whom to do the mounting work professionally. Afterall, they either install light bars on the police vehicles or have a particular shop do the work for them.

Why not contact Whelen? They should have the answer to just about anything in regards to police and emergency vehicle equipment.

I think they even offer light bars with suction cups that allow them to stick to the inside of the glass.