Please! I need help with my 2001 Dodge Neon

My brother thought I was crazy to buy a Neon, but it was all I could afford at the time. Now 200,000+ miles later, I don’t think I made such a bad decision. I have a 5-speed and just now it is having trouble. It started this summer on our way to the river for a cool refreshing swim on a very hot day… it sputtered and the warning dinger dinged and we thought it probably needed an oil change. It was a little low on oil and after the oil change it was OK for a short while. Then the car has these little hiccups. While driving along the car actually stalls and restarts. If this little hiccup happens while starting it may refuse to start at all and then you open the door, open the hood, try again and it starts… no problem. Everytime this happens the “dinger” rings 5 times. We had a slipping belt and my husband tightened that so it doesn’t squeal now. The hiccups have changed pattern to only when I start the car up. “Dinger” rings 5 times and then the engine light comes on, car starts and that’s it. I think my poor car is trying to tell me something. Just not sure what it is.

Since the check engine light is setting codes, pls go get the codes read at an auto parts store like Autozone and post back with them. You could have two separate problems rather than just one problem here. The codes will help someone help you diagnose what is going on.

I don’t own any Chrysler products, so I am not sure what the “dinger” is telling you. Extremely low on oil would be a red oil pressure light, not the check engine light.

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE. I AM TRYING TO AVOID TAKING THIS CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP. THE CODES WE RECEIVED FROM THE AUTO PARTS STORE WERE ALL HAVING TO DO WITH THE O2 SENSERS WHICH WE REPLACED AND THE ONLY OTHER ITEM MAY BE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WHICH WE ARE TRYING TO PUT OFF TILL CLOSER TO INSPECTION. THE “DINGING” SEEMS TO BE A “CODE” OF SOME TYPE AND I’M HOPING SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS HOW TO INTERPRET THIS CODE.

X2 what jayhawkroy said.

Dont know about your Neon, but on some Fords the dinging is a backup warning for a burned out idiot light.

When you turn the key one click do all the idiot lights come on?

BTW there are many O2 sensor codes and in many cases the O2 is just a messenger for a problem elsewhere. Replacing the O2 wont fix a problem elsewhere in the system.

Get the codes pulled again & post them here.

Thanks for your interest. I will post those codes, but it will be a couple of days… probably Monday… since I am not able to send these from home. I am posting during my breaks at work. We are living in a camper right now… no room to set up the computer.

thanks,
r