Please Help!

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Rav4 Sport. I’ve been taking it to the same mechanic for years and have never had a problem. After my last visit (65K tune-up and new brakes), the car squealed when applying brakes driving forward or in reverse. The mechanic took it back, changed brakes and there was a small improvement. They next took it to Toyota who changed brakes and rotors and there was a bigger improvement. Now the squeal only happens when reversing out of a parking space while turning the wheel. It is back at the mechanics. They said they’ve taken it apart and can’t find anything that would cause the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any suggestions you may have.
K

Depending on what work was done (“new brakes” can mean any number of things to any number of different people), I would start by making sure the anti-rattle clips are not too close to the rotor. These can easily get too close to the rotor and make squealing, metallic noises and are surprisingly easy for some people to miss when looking for a problem. Aside from that possibility, brake lubricant in all the right places can eliminate a lot of noises and problems.

With my car, I’ve learned to deal with some minor squealing. It’s usually brake dust, and as long as it only happens while you are turning in reverse, I wouldn’t worry about it. The added noise will make backing out safer, and that probably only consists of 5% of your driving, right?

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I’ll check on the brake clips and lubricant mark9207. Whitey, I guess it could be brake dust, but it is so loud. I did drive the car for about a month the last time, in hopes that it was dust and that it would go away. I park in large parking structures daily and whenever I back out everyone turns to see where the awful noise is coming from. I’m worried, as well, that it may be causing damage to whatever is being rubbed against to make the noise.

A noise that loud and obvious they should be able to find. Is it every time you back up, or only after it’s been sitting a while?

Since it was last done at the dealer, did they put the 'Yota branded pads on it? I’ve found that (believe it or not) can make a huge difference.

Toyota also sells the anti-squeal clips as a separate package from the pads. If your clips have failed, broken, been broken (as in by someone), or lost altogether, they may not have been replaced. Check the receipt and see what the dealer did. I would like to assume (ass-u-me) that they would put a new set on if required, but they might not.

Just a couple ideas. I’m sure more will percolate up to the surface.

Chase

Hi chaissos, thanks for the response! it is not every time I back up-I’d say 80% of the time. It really likes to wait until I leave the mechanics. The last time it was done it was Toyota parts. It also only seems to be doing it on the driver-side front now. They seems to have solved the problem for all other wheels. I’ll dig out my receipt and see what it says about clips and I’ll definitely mention it to them in the morning. Thank you all so, so much!!

PS, just called my mechanic and he said he’d call Toyota about the anti-squeal clips in the morning. I’ve got my fingers crossed! I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks again! :o)

It could also be the pads are still bedding into the new discs. I’m still of the old mindset that you should be careful with brakes for the first 250 or so miles after a replacement, and then you can continue to use them harder. That may not be a requirement now, but like I said…old mindset. It’s never failed me yet. :slight_smile:

Hi guys, just got off the phone with my mechanic. I asked him if they’d looked into the anti-squeal clips and he said that they use a “disk quiet spray so everything doesn’t move around.” What does this mean? He also said the noise was very, very loud this morning.

It’s basically like a glue that holds the pads to the caliper and piston. It’s not a true replacement for the anti-squeal clips, as they also have parts that push the pads away from the disc, in addition to what little space you’ll gain with the pressure release.

They’re for more than just keeping the pads from “moving around”. I’d put them on, but, as always, it’s your call.