Plastic Clutch Push Rod Broke in half!Can i fix it and how

Yeh, my brother had a 1940s H-D, “fixed” an exhaust pipe with chrome sink drain pipe.

1 Like

With that wall thickness it looks like plastic to me.

Yes, it looks like plastic pipe to me also.

yes its a bit of plastic mains water pipe,the thick walled stuff.The pushrod broke at the top where its supposed to connect to the clutch pedal,so im using the waterpipe like a sleeve to keep the rod in place.I drilled a 10mm hole into the side at the pedal end and popped it onto the stud on the pedal.Theres also a copper olive on the water pipe which should help keep it rigid.When you think about it this part gets a lot of use and must take a lot of pressure constantly.well its been a week now and its still working fine,ihave a spare bit of pipe in the tool kit just in case im caught out again.

ps had to shave a bit off top of the rod so it fit in the pipe snug.I reckon the rod is carbon fibre but the connecting bit is plastic.

Thinking on this, I don’t believe I’ve ever effected a diy’er car repair (involving one of the car’s basic mechanical functions) using anything other than a car part designed for use on that make/model/year of car. I’ve made home-brew fixes of other mechanical gadgets around the home, but never for a car. Seems my creativity is somewhat lacking as far as car repair novel ideas.

I don’t know if this is worth mentioning or not but the wiper mechanism on the Pontiac has like push on plastic bearings/connectors. But instead of pointing up, they point down so if they wear or break, you have no wipers. Mine broke but made it home on a rainy night. Ordered a new mechanism for about $90 but in the meantime wired or somehow got the thing connected again. I saved the old one which still had three serviceable connectors on it if it.

happened again.

I guess I was 18 but my 59 Pontiac had no heater shut off. The guy before me had just taken it all out. So in spring, I’d clamp off the heater hoses and take them off again for winter. A 90 degree July day in sd, no need for a heater.