Pig Skin Puzzler Answer Incorrect!

I’ve been waiting to see if an addendum would be posted regarding the correct answer to the Pig Skin Puzzler (10-19-09). If you forget the question you can read it here…

http://www…index.html

Anyway, according to Ray and Tom the answer was

RAY: Here’s the answer. A team with no place kicker cannot score an odd number of points.

TOM: Why not?

RAY: Well, because touchdowns are six points. And the extra points that a team with no place kicker can score are two points.

TOM: Ohh.

RAY: They can’t score a one-point extra point, and they can’t kick field goals which are three points. So do we have a winner?

TOM: The winner this week is John Kaye from Seattle, Washington. And for having his answer selected at random from among all the correct answers that we got, John will get a $26 gift certificate to the Shameless Commerce Division at cartalk.com, with which he can get a four pack of our new Car Talk reusable shopping bags.

RAY: Congratulations, John!

This is 100% false… a team can score an odd number of points without a place kicker. A quarterback or any player I suppose can dropkick the football between the uprights after scoring a touchdown earning them 1 point.

The last time this was attempted was by Doug Flutie of the New England Patriots in 2006.

Very good Mass. When I was reading the answer I didn’t think about that. If I were you I would send an email to Ray and Tom pointing this out to them…

This is 100% false… a team can score an odd number of points without a place kicker. A quarterback or any player I suppose can dropkick the football between the uprights after scoring a touchdown earning them 1 point.

And Tom and Ray should know this. One of Massachusetts most famous Football Natives “Doug Flutie” did just that. The first and last time it’s been done since 1941. Patriots Vs Miami.