Periodic startup problem

I have a '99 Toyota Camry LX that will occationally not successfully turn over when I start it up. It will die and even smoke comes out the muffler sometimes. I have to hold the gas pedal down for awhile and then it settles and all is OK. My 'check engine light ’ also comes on sometimes and then goes off. Don’t know if these events are related?? Am told I need a part that has to do with the O2 and gas mix. My mileage is great though. 30mpg. Other than this I love this car.

The Check Engine Light is a warning signal. Someone needs to read the trouble codes stored in the car’s computer. If you need a new O2 sensor, or some other component, then you need it.

You should NEVER have to touch the gas pedal to start the car. When was the last time the car was serviced, or had new spark plugs? If you skip routine maintenance problems will result.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.