Performance of a 5yr, Long Life, Coolant by Peak

The long life coolant of 5yr xxxxxx miles was used in my car. I typically change it by 4 yr.
Last time I left it for 5yrs and 15-20k miles.

When I changed, it was lighter in color than I expected.
After pouring it back in the bottle for disposal, I found some particles at the bottom of the tray (previously was used for oil but was dried not washed). These particles are of the size of sand or little bigger - prob about a dozen of them. After market radiator prob has about 80k,

I never seen them before. Have any of you had similar experience?

The newer Peak is 10yrs of Long life.

Why didn’t you use the Acura long life that is standard use?

Is your aftermarket radiator the same as the OEM, aluminum and plastic?

I see no cause for concern

2 Likes

IDK - only use Acura Tranny and PS fluid. IDK - never thought about it or people advised me to use Peak

Yes indeed.

In my experience coolant lasts a long long long time.

The pre-mixed universal coolant from Peak comes in two varieties–a 5-year and a 10-year version. I have used both, in different vehicles, without issue. In fact, I am currently running Peak 5-year coolant in my Daewoo Lanos, which originally came with silicated coolant, Peak 10-year coolant in my Chevrolet Silverado, which originally came with Dex-Cool, and in my Toyota Corolla, which originally came with Toyota-specific HOAT coolant.

Maybe I am missing something, last car that got killed (rear ended) had 90k after switching from dexron to peak global so I thought never have to worry about it again , " PEAK Global Lifetime 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant "PEAK Global LifeTime 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant features an advanced organic acid technology that provides lifetime protection for as long as you own your vehicle.* "

1 Like

A road-construction replaced the water main in my area a few years ago, later found rust-colored sand clogging the faucet aerators. Asked construction guy why. He said it is just some rust particles has formed inside the iron pipe, gets knocked loose by the construction jolts. Your engine block is probably made of iron, and the particles you are seeing are probably the same thing. Normally expected. Of no concern.

Well, a mechanic tells me that crystals were formed and the coolant is turning into acid - time to change!

Even with the 10yr life Peak coolant, he says change at 5yrs! I was thinking 7yrs - any thoughts?

Yes , if you are not going to take the mechanics advice why even bother him ?

1 Like

I don’t go beyond 5yrs for any coolant . . . even if it says it’s good for 10yrs or whatever

Better safe than sorry, imo

2 Likes

@db4690 - thanks, awesome!
How about Mazda coolant on a mazda 5 - I think they say 7yrs.

DB said he would not go past 5 years for any brand of coolant . Seems clear enough .

2 Likes

I generally change-out coolant at 3 years irrespective of what version I use. The longer coolant stays in the engine, the more acidic. Coolant test strips are available to measure the coolant pH . It usually starts out in the 7.5-8.0 range when newly installed, then decreases. Below 7, that means it has become acidic. Best to change it out at that point. I wouldn’t allow it in any of my engines lower than 6.5.

All of your vehicles predate long-life coolant

Back when your vehicles were built, I believe it was recommended to change the coolant every 2 - 3 years . . . if not sooner

2 Likes

Thanks @George_San_Jose1 for nailing it.
I will follow this in the future.

I don’t even bother with those test strips

I just change out coolant at 5-year intervals

Just as I don’t bother sending in engine oil samples

I just change the engine oil and filter at 5K intervals

I guess if the test strip cost more than $10 or $30, it is better to just to change it!